TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: push rod tubes ?
steverooker Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:11 am

I need to fix some leaky pushrod tubes on a 1970 auto fast back, was looking for advice on what you all think of the telescopic push rod tubes, are they ok, or are they terrible and is it a case of engine out and fit the standard type?

Mr. Bubblehead Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:52 am

I have always used the stock pushrod tubes, as I've heard that the telescopic tubes tend to leak. The stock tubes can be replaced in a Type 3 without removing the engine, although it is much easier to replace them with the engine out of the car.

philman Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:56 am

I think the telescopic tubes might be ok for a quick fix; I used to carry a few around on my travels just in case. But, as Mr Bubblehead mentioned, they will probably start to leak sooner or later. You can pull the head with the engine in and change the tubes. While it is easier with the engine out, especially to pull the exhaust off, is not too bad with the engine in. Might as well go for the long-term fix rather than short term route however. :wink:

steverooker Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:28 am

ok , thanks a lot for the advice, I will fit the original push rod tubes, I have got this old set of bug pak telescopic pushrod tubes with springs, but after getting them out of the packet I thought twice about using them, made in taiwan, plastic and looked very cheap!
Thanks again