TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: SO-44 documents for Westfalia freaks Page: 1, 2  Next
Type2meister Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:54 pm

I came home from work today and my friend Al (who I bought the bus from) mailed me the transfer papers and a bunch of original documents from the original owners. I have been trying to find out from other SO-44 owners how much certain items cost, what was standard, optional, etc. and all this information is in the papers! Fortuately the original owners were quite meticulous in storing and keeping these documents...too bad they didn't have the same care for the bus and park it inside! (see gallery pics for gory details). Looks like the owner was indeed a serviceman at BFPO 40 in Germany in '66. I also have the shipping papers, and international motor insurance card. On the other side of the SO-44 price list was a SO-42 price list as well in English with German prices (DM).

Some interesting things:
*wall socket and lamp (hanging lamp) were standard for SO-44
*"large side tent with sewed-on toilet compartment which is attachable to vehicle" Pre big-top tent I guess?
*available "little awning" in width of cargo doors. I always assumed these were aftermarket only.
*extension of Eberspacher heating pipe...what would the extension function for? Into the tent?

///Mink Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:19 pm

Wow, that is some cool stuff there. Stamped 10 days before I was born. Looks like your SO-44 and my SO-42 left the factory around the same time.

targa Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:49 pm

FWIW, in 66 the mark to dollar exchange was 4 to 1
Tom

campingbox Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:25 am

WOW, good find Paul.

Stocknazi Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:32 am

super nice. i wish i had the papers for my bus.

arthurnugen Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:06 am

Very cool. So, how is the resto going?

marklaken Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:55 am

Type2meister wrote: *extension of Eberspacher heating pipe...what would the extension function for? Into the tent?

or to take the heat through the westy z-bed compartment and into the living area?

Flipseat Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:12 pm

Very nice!!

What do the last 5 lines of text read in the first picture? Its hard to make all of it out.

dieselnut Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:44 pm

Thanks for sharing this, very cool intell. :-)

[email protected] Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:57 pm

nice

Type2meister Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:11 pm

arthurnugen wrote: Very cool. So, how is the resto going?
Well...the front seats, seat belts and seat stand mats are out as well as the rear bed/seat, side seat/table, floor mat, front bumper, all door panels, and thats about it. I have not cut or disturbed any metal yet! I am having a real hard time opening the rear hatch. I have soaked the outside and inside (all around the hatch and lock mechanism) with penetrating oil and it will not budge. The inside panel is off and I've tried pulling the mechanism from inside while pushing out with my foot and still no go. Need to open the door to get the rear 'headache' cabinet out.

Type2meister Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:15 pm

Flipseat wrote: Very nice!!

What do the last 5 lines of text read in the first picture? Its hard to make all of it out.
The last 5 lines of text read:
+) In case the Folding roof is wanted, the vehicle must have reinforcements by steel plates (Unterflurbleche) fixed underneath. They can be ordered with the vehicle by the VW-selling agent (M 191), otherwise we can deliver and fix these reinforcements for DM 135.-

Execution and all prices are subject to change without notice.

Major Woody Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:31 am

marklaken wrote: Type2meister wrote: *extension of Eberspacher heating pipe...what would the extension function for? Into the tent?

or to take the heat through the westy z-bed compartment and into the living area?

That's what I think. There is an additional piece of ducting that converts the rectangular output duct to about 3" round and then a piece of corrugated duct that brings the heat out through the hole at the base of the bed.

I searched forever before finding that piece of metal ducting--I still need a couple feet of that corrugated cardboard pipe. It is larger in diameter than the fresh air hoses on the engine.

Type2meister Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:40 am

Major Woody wrote: marklaken wrote: Type2meister wrote: *extension of Eberspacher heating pipe...what would the extension function for? Into the tent?

That's what I think. There is an additional piece of ducting that converts the rectangular output duct to about 3" round and then a piece of corrugated duct that brings the heat out through the hole at the base of the bed.

I searched forever before finding that piece of metal ducting--I still need a couple feet of that corrugated cardboard pipe. It is larger in diameter than the fresh air hoses on the engine.

Hmmm...that is possible I guess, but why would this be an optional extra when you need it to run through the bed/storage area? Come to think of it, there is no room for an extension pipe from the outlet under the seat because there is no room. Right in front of the outlet is an angled piece of sheet metal to direct the warm air out away from the sideways facing seat.
I also found it very interesting that there was an option for a curtain divider to separate the driving and living area. Has anybody seen this in an SO-42 with the stock plaid curtains?

PS: Early bay window Westfalias have the same corrogated heater pipe...I have it in my '70.

marklaken Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:39 pm

it'd be an option because the gas heater itself was an option...

FloydGreen Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:18 am

I just acquired a 1966 SO44 Dormobile and it is awesome to see how much all of those upgrades cost at the time. The original owner of my bus got almost every available option.

Eric&Barb Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:05 am

Could you make some good scans of those pages? Info like this is hard to find, and so cool to see the Westie logo on paper...

Eric&Barb Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:28 am

Type2meister wrote: I have soaked the outside and inside (all around the hatch and lock mechanism) with penetrating oil and it will not budge. The inside panel is off and I've tried pulling the mechanism from inside while pushing out with my foot and still no go. Need to open the door to get the rear 'headache' cabinet out.

Tie a strong string to the bar inside the door that will release the latch. Lie on the package tray while pulling on the string and carefully using your feet to push against the door. After pushing for a few seconds, let up pressing with your feet, have someone push against the outside of the door for a few seconds. Repeat till the latch pops open.
What you are trying to do is to get the latch to rotate even the tiniest bit in either or both directions, and the next time a bit more rotation, and more the next, etc.. Same works for stuck screws and bolts.

Type2meister Mon May 19, 2014 5:07 pm

Eric&Barb wrote: Could you make some good scans of those pages? Info like this is hard to find, and so cool to see the Westie logo on paper...

Yes I can do this at work...but I'll have to wait until I find the paperwork again. I've tucked it away in a safe place!

Type2meister Mon May 19, 2014 5:08 pm

FloydGreen wrote: I just acquired a 1966 SO44 Dormobile and it is awesome to see how much all of those upgrades cost at the time. The original owner of my bus got almost every available option.
Nice looking bus and great find! I recognize it with those wheels from years ago....I think the previous owner ran a constant ad in search of some interior part if I remember correctly.