TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: how much is fuel injection worth?
Erik G Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:46 pm

I know I know, fuel injection is better yadda yadda, but someone I know is removing the complete well working F/I and putting on Dual carbs. the car is a 70 squareback and is in top condition. I told him not to throw anything away as one of you guys will probably want it. how much is the setup worth complete (ballpark est.)

Thanks

Russ Wolfe Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:56 pm

Last one I got was "FREE" . The person just knew it would be used judicously, and not just sold on Epay.
If anyone needs any parts, for a '70-71, let me know, and I will try to supply for the postage and handling.
And for the person that gave me the FI parts, you know who you are, and many thanks to the T-3 community.

FASTBACKDON Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:58 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: Last one I got was "FREE" . The person just knew it would be used judicously, and not just sold on Epay.
If anyone needs any parts, for a '70-71, let me know, and I will try to supply for the postage and handling.
And for the person that gave me the FI parts, you know who you are, and many thanks to the T-3 community.
Russ anytime if I get anymore I will gladly send them your way my friend

Mr. Bubblehead Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:17 pm

All the FI parts I've received were either free or cheap (from here in the classifieds as well as at swap meets, etc.)

blankmange Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:37 am

the most I have ever paid for a complete Type 3 FI set up is $50.00 -- ECU, fuel pump, everything....

notchback Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:43 am

blankmange wrote: the most I have ever paid for a complete Type 3 FI set up is $50.00 -- ECU, fuel pump, everything.... meanwhile, others are saying "The least I ever paid for a fuel pump for an FI car was $150".

AllAmericanDan Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:42 pm

Well I already sent a begging PM Russ....you guys should have told me you could help me out when I said the magic/cursed words I have a progressive. :lol:

blankmange Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:56 am

notchback wrote: blankmange wrote: the most I have ever paid for a complete Type 3 FI set up is $50.00 -- ECU, fuel pump, everything.... meanwhile, others are saying "The least I ever paid for a fuel pump for an FI car was $150".

I did buy a new fuel pump for $125.00..... but never that much for a whole system...

notchboy Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:26 am

blankmange wrote: notchback wrote: blankmange wrote: the most I have ever paid for a complete Type 3 FI set up is $50.00 -- ECU, fuel pump, everything.... meanwhile, others are saying "The least I ever paid for a fuel pump for an FI car was $150".

I did buy a new fuel pump for $125.00..... but never that much for a whole system...

Isnt the fuel pump part of the whole system :wink: Interstae VW in Cali literaly has 55 gal barrels of FI stuff no one has wanted yet. Its all tucked away for a rainy day.

blankmange Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:38 am

notchboy wrote: blankmange wrote: notchback wrote: blankmange wrote: the most I have ever paid for a complete Type 3 FI set up is $50.00 -- ECU, fuel pump, everything.... meanwhile, others are saying "The least I ever paid for a fuel pump for an FI car was $150".

Isnt the fuel pump part of the whole system :wink: Interstae VW in Cali literaly has 55 gal barrels of FI stuff no one has wanted yet. Its all tucked away for a rainy day.

it is part of the system -- in buying systems as a whole, I have never paid more than $50...

I have, however, purchased a fuel pump for $125.00....

notchboy Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:17 am

Just yankin your chain mange :wink:

blankmange Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:57 am

notchboy wrote: Just yankin your chain mange :wink:

it's all good -- if I need to be specific in my statements, it's cool.... :)

Tram Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:05 pm

Eric, what do you want for it?

AllAmericanDan Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:46 pm

Tram if you don't need it and I could get it for 50.00 or so I am wanting to put FI back into my Square. I would ask like a bazillion bloody questions of you guys though.

Tram Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:07 pm

I don't HAVE to have it. I'm converting my Type 34 to an injected engine, and would just like to have some spare parts around. If you're gonna use it to put yours back to original, you can have first dibs.

AllAmericanDan Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:10 pm

yeah I think the reliability of FI over getting carbs synched or getting this darn Webber Progressive working is worth it. I am mechanically minded but no mechanic. I replaced the injectors on my 89 Jeep but I didn't have to delve real deep into wiring to do that:)

I'll PM this guy directly.

Gary Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:00 pm

Tram wrote: I don't HAVE to have it. I'm converting my Type 34 to an injected engine, and would just like to have some spare parts around. If you're gonna use it to put yours back to original, you can have first dibs.

Damn, that is going to be bad-ass. You better post pictures of that when you're finished.

Anniehum Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:46 pm

notchback wrote: blankmange wrote: the most I have ever paid for a complete Type 3 FI set up is $50.00 -- ECU, fuel pump, everything.... meanwhile, others are saying "The least I ever paid for a fuel pump for an FI car was $150".
How did you know at was my first thought.....

I paid $70 for a parts car that came with 2 spare FI harnesses and brains. No fuel pump though, hence the $150 for the fuel pump.
Cheers

Gary Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:49 pm

I sold an unknown condition FI fuel pump for $20 a few years ago.

Tram Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:38 pm

Icy wrote: Tram wrote: I don't HAVE to have it. I'm converting my Type 34 to an injected engine, and would just like to have some spare parts around. If you're gonna use it to put yours back to original, you can have first dibs.

Damn, that is going to be bad-ass. You better post pictures of that when you're finished.

It had better be, I've got enough bread in this heap and little piles of parts all over the place. :lol: I'm trying to get my customer stuff wrapped up and OUT so that I can devote March, April, and May to tryin' to make cream out of shit here in time for the Invasion. :shock: