TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: front brake calipers on a late square
karfer67 Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:02 am

i have tried to find these repoped or rebuilt to no end. the right front on my 72 square has decided to seize not all the way but will not retract properly. yes the pads are in good condition actually almost new and the rotors look fine. if no one is making these then can any other caliper be used in it's place? thanks to all it is good to be back!!

Russ Wolfe Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:09 am

If it is the late model, try finding one from a T-4, they are the same. Also, you might cosider rebuilding them. Jim Adney on the vwtype3.org mail list does them at a very reasonable price.
[email protected]

ddare Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:54 pm

I just bought a rebuilt set from AutoZone, they should be able to get them for you. Also, according to the 411/412 forum, 411 ones match, but the 412's are different as they share the same caliper as the porsche 914.

The ones from autozone are in great shape, I actually rebuilt my old ones and kept them. I still need to find a gasket for the fluid channels though, they are NLA.

The calipers new are like $80 with a core, $115 w/o for both.

Oh, one thing you will need is the brake pad retaining plate off of your old calipers. Those don't come with the calipers. Also, you may have to rotate the pistons inside the caliper when you get them, mine were a little off.

-Doug

karfer67 Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:27 am

wow ddare thanks for the tip. last time i went to autozone asking about a part for a type 3 the guy had no clue what i was talking about and looked even more confused when i told him it was a called a "squareback." could have been worse i could have told him most vw guys just call late squares like mine a fat chick :P anyways i will check it out thanks again.

sgmalt46 Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:01 am

i would try changing the rubber line first! if there old that might be why the pads won't return properly. seen it many times. try bleeding that side. if the fluid don't come out easy and feels like you have to push hard to get it to bleed that is the prob.
steve :D