TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: gonna go for sale......with much regret
Stan Monterrosa Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:39 pm

another one bites the dust!
so i've pretty much decided that my 66 has to go (due to financial reasons)
she's been sitting in the garage for much too long and the way things are going it'll be much too long before I can start putting money back into her.
my hopes are to get atleast 3 grand for her.
wanted to get some opinions..... but please be gentle! LOL
appearance wise she's pretty ugly but, she's got:
new 1776 with about 100 miles on it
og tranny i believe
new master cylinder as well as wheel cylinders and hoses (still needs brake work, which is why i don't drive her... squishy brakes)
needs new drums i think
new head light buckets
adjustable beam
cheap stereo
new wire harness, all electrical works good (posts might need some cleaning)
floor pans have rust through behind the front seats (passenger foot area)
i can see rust in the heater channels (in the little vents in the front) but there are no weakspots
Included with the price would be everything bug related i have:
the old 1300 that came with it, rebuilt carb, new gen... but it would always shut off after 15 minutes of driving(???)
old headlights
new stuff in boxes like front turn signal lenses, new back lenses, accel cable, tranny mounts, brake fl resv, boots, door panel clips, weber manuals and bug manuals

i was crazy enough to drive it to work for a while, and it was really fun with the 1776 but after a couple of times of almost rear ending another car i came to my senses......
n e way here are a few pics, to get a better idea..... being as to how the engine itself cost me a little over 2500 i'd hate to let it go for less than 3g..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=251780

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=251781

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=251782

Thanks all!!! if worse comes to worse i'll be back in a few years to start over! 8)
peace!

markm Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:53 am

Good luck!

Dub67 Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:10 am

Too bad, it looks like it's coming along nice... eventually you will return to the dark side. :lol:

crazyman_stanley Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:33 am

im gunna have to say, i doubt you'll get 3k for that man. Is it still missing all that glass? i'd say more like 2-2500
But hey man, maybe you'll score. goodluck

Kaferfiend Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:52 am

crazyman_stanley wrote: im gunna have to say, i doubt you'll get 3k for that man. Is it still missing all that glass? i'd say more like 2-2500
But hey man, maybe you'll score. goodluck

I was going to say between 1000 and 1500.

-kf

crazyman_stanley Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:30 am

haha, yeah thats more realistic. I was trying to be nice, and hoping that he'd find some eager schmuck that had money burnin a hole in his pocket. har har

Stan Monterrosa Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:52 am

the only thing its missing is good looks LOL
i'm not trying to jip anyone, but yeah, there are plenty of schmucks around.....
i've seen some going for 3-4k that look good but got next to nothing under the hood (or rear apron)...
I would never let it go for 1000-1500, I doubt anyone could find a 1776 alone for that price....

crazyman_stanley Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:54 am

true, but thats about the only thing of true value that i can see on this car...I actually have contemplated buying such a vehicle just to pull the engine and turn around and sell the shell for a few hundred bucks.

Stan Monterrosa Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:55 pm

makes sense.
stupid rock, damn hard spot!

Herby Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Well, crazyman kind of already said it, but why don't you take out the motor, sell the shell for 1,000-1,500 and the motor for 2,300-2,500. If you manage to sell both, thats 3,300-4,000. More money and more reasonable.

Because, you're really gonna have to find a scmuck to buy that for 3k...I bought mine a year ago for 3k and it was in a HELL LOT better condition than that (body and motor). No offense, just pointing out facts.

RIS Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:06 pm

Herby wrote: Well, crazyman kind of already said it, but why don't you take out the motor, sell the shell for 1,000-1,500 and the motor for 2,300-2,500. If you manage to sell both, thats 3,300-4,000. More money and more reasonable.

Best way to do it, and the engine would probably sell quick getting you some of the cash you need. If the Car itself doesn't sell your financial situation will hopefully improve and maybe you can start over with it.

Kaferfiend Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:25 pm

Stan Monterrosa wrote: the only thing its missing is good looks LOL
i'm not trying to jip anyone, but yeah, there are plenty of schmucks around.....
i've seen some going for 3-4k that look good but got next to nothing under the hood (or rear apron)...
I would never let it go for 1000-1500, I doubt anyone could find a 1776 alone for that price....

Without seeing the car first hand, it's hard to tell. I put a blanket price on it due to what I saw. Many times people don't care whats under the hood. An engine is a wear item, and the buyer has no idea how it was treated. Therefor, the engine usually doesn't make much difference.

Where it IS a difference, say a popular engine builder said "This is a brand new 2332, dyno tuned, just broken in..." That'd carry some weight.

-kf

L-jetronic Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:30 pm

May as well keep her, dude. A fair sale price for you is much higher than a fair purchase price for anyone else. Invested too much to let it go for $1850, which is what I would offer.

millerje78 Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:02 pm

I paid 900 for my 66; it had a running 1500 single port, good trans, half-way decent wiring system with 12 volt conversion, etc. rust in the pans, some in the channels. I got a good deal, but I think you should aim for about 2000 with your bug. If you want to be realistic, you cannot assume anyone will give you the value of your sweat, even though to you, its priceless.

-jesse

67_13Deluxe Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:18 pm

I just bought a running daily driver 65 in good condition for 2700. good luck getting 3000 for it.

Jowlz Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:06 pm

You need to remember buying a second hand motor....no matter what the miles its still a second hand motor. Its not worth what it was new. I am in the market for a little earlier of a car right now. You should keep it. Look in the classifieds at what $3000 will get you....

RIS Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:29 pm

Jowlz wrote: You need to remember buying a second hand motor....no matter what the miles its still a second hand motor. Its not worth what it was new.

Also depends on WHO built it, a VW Paradise engine carries much more weight than a GEX slap-together...