TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 67 Beetle Wiring
cek347 Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:40 pm

Ok, got my first beetle (owned a '69 bus and '74 Westy). Its a 67 metal sunroof. First order of business is to get the electrical system up and running. Im sure i'll have quite a few posts as i go but I'll search first ask questions second.

Problem #1: No Low beams.

I replaced all fuses in the fuse box. 2-16's 8-8's. I pull the headlight switch and only the driver side headlight works at low beam, both work with high beam. I check wires per Bentley(crossreference with the one in the tech forum here) and find that the yellow and white that lead back to fusebox are out of order per schematic. I reorder them, then follow up to the dimmer relay. Newer one with no F mark, i double check per the schematic on oldvolks and everything is hooked up right. I go to check the lights and now neither low beams work but both high beams work.... Where do i go form here?

volks67beetle Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:45 pm

don't forget (as I am sure you know), previous owner syndrome may be in your beetle...any replaced wires, or wire hack jobs? Check to make sure there are no exposed wires that may be grounding out. Also I know that one headlight is ok from your description....is the other ok. Now on my 67 the little clip that holds the fuse box was missing and this caused wires to touch metal and blow fuse....it does not sound like the case with you but worth a check. the high low beam switch on the steering column..check the wires going through the dash and to the fuse box. All it takes is one wire that is grounding out and it all goes down the shitter from there. Also any insect coccoons inside the headlight wire plugs to the headlight?

cek347 Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:50 pm

the wires look good and pretty stock, it looks untouched for all these years.

bill may Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:06 pm

is your headlight switch tight to the dash.-this is where switch grounds.one 16amp far right and one 16 far left?one terminal on fuse block at top toward dash has 2 on bottom towards front of car. make sure one color(white or yellow) is on double spade there are 2 double spades for each wire. kinda like backwards h is your 9 pin relay working?have you checked the ground screw by fuel tank each side where brown wire comes into inner fender on each side from headlight?

cek347 Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:32 pm

Fuses are correct.

How do i check the grounds? How do i check continuity?

How do i check the 9 pin box?

I'll double check the connections to fuse box but im sure they are right and the h lookin plug is there.

If i have a circuit tester and the key is on, should all the fuses be hot?

bluesharp Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:00 pm

In your original post you did not mention if you checked that the passenger side headlamp low beam element is not burned out. I assume that you did before looking into the wiring and such?

crazyman_stanley Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:41 pm

bluesharp wrote: In your original post you did not mention if you checked that the passenger side headlamp low beam element is not burned out. I assume that you did before looking into the wiring and such?
I was thinking the same thing. The headlight is a dual fillament set up. One for high and one for low. On my 67 my passenger side has no low beam. I need to buy a new light assembly...for now i drive with my bright on at night to avoid being pulled over. haha

cek347 Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:18 am

ya, the low beam originally worked on the driverside so i put that on the passenger side to test. no luck. I hooked up the voltmeter and was not reading 12 volts when i had low beams selected.

Oh, and when i put the high beams on the park lamps/turnsignals turn off. Is that normal?

So how does one check for continuity? unhook battery, set meter, and touch ground wire and positive wire with leads?

volks67beetle Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:32 am

I would try to locate a nine pine relay and hook it up according to the wire diagram.... and see if it helps. You could either fine one in the classifieds or order a replacment from most VW parts place. The ones new do not look like the nine pin (except wolfsburg west's repro)....my lights were messed up too and that did the trick...also when I put on my headlights the parking lights stop working...normal.

turboblue Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:26 am

Might look at this if you haven't already.

http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/bug-66+67.jpg

cek347 Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:04 pm

Ok, so without a car manual i didnt realize that the headlights only come on when you pull to position two. So my headlights on lowbeam are fine, and my parking lights work fine also. What lead me to this situation was my one headlight would come on when i pulled the lever to the first position..... Ok, thats sorted out, problem one just about done.

Next problem, the high beam switch on the turnsignal stalk does not do anything when i push it in. Anyway i can test it? it did work one time but now does nothing when i push the switch.

Problem #2: When i go to put on the turnsignals, they just make alot of noise and stay fully lit. Is that becuase i have the front bulbs out? Driver side bulb holder is all busted up: the white stuff taht holds the leads is all cracked and broken

cek347 Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:34 pm

ok, tested the relay as per Cip1 website and it appears the switch is bad on the turnsignal stalk. I guess since the turnsignals arent workin i should just replace the stalk?

where is the ground for the turnsignal stalk? the wiring diagram doesnt show it very clearly.

volks67beetle Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:29 am

cek347 wrote: ok, tested the relay as per Cip1 website and it appears the switch is bad on the turnsignal stalk. I guess since the turnsignals arent workin i should just replace the stalk?

where is the ground for the turnsignal stalk? the wiring diagram doesnt show it very clearly.

Before you buy any parts....buy a Bentley manual for 1966-1969. Robert Bentley will show you the way. I know it sucks to hear go buy a manual but in the long run you will save yourself some pain. Electrical shit is a pain in the ass when all you have is a wire diagram. Bentley will explain more than a wire diagram will.... It will also give you the step by step procedure when removing an item, it will tell you how to do it the right way, so nothing gets messed up.

cek347 Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:52 am

Bentley in hand now, I have to go through the flasher and turnsignal checks. Great book.

Here is a question, say the front turnsignal bulb is out of the socket, will that cause the other turnsignal lights to just stay fully lit? my front turnsignal assembly (actually the white plastic that guides the wires to the bulb) is broken. Any solution to replacing the white plastic?