TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Do I need a special charger for a 6v battery? Page: 1, 2  Next
67 Florida Deluxe Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:53 pm

I just got a battery from WW and filled it with acid, now I need to charge it. I have a Schauer dual rate charger that I have had forever. I dont have the instructions any more so I dont know if it can be used on a 6v battery. It has two settings, 2 amps and 6 amps, and it says the output is 12 volts. Can I use this charger or do I need a special charger for 6v?

Pardon me if this is a really stupid question, but I really dont know and I dont want to just take some schlep's word at Podunk Auto Parts :?

-kent

keifernet Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:02 pm

If the charger you have does not have a 6V setting... only the dual amp output you stated for 12V... then do not use it, you need a 6V charger.

RareAir Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:07 pm

You'll need to get a charger that is rated for 6v. Most newer chargers have a switch that can charge both 6v & 12v batteries. Using that 12v charger on a 6v battery may fry the cells.

67 Florida Deluxe Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:13 pm

:| welp, that's kinda what I figured, but I have been to three different auto parts stores today to find an 11mm flare nut wrench for my brake line and I was hoping to avoid the aggravation of these places again! Nevertheless, better safe than sorry!

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm off to Advance again

- K

EverettB Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:18 pm

I have a charger from Sears that does both. There is a switch.

I saw some cheap chargers when I was at the Pawn Shop today.

67 Florida Deluxe Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:27 pm

I decided to call before driving all over hell's half-acre again. I found one place that has a 6v trickle charger $31.00 and a 6v/12v charger with a switch for $39.00... I'm off to get the latter of the two and take back the other 6v battery I bought. It was too big - hence I had to get the one from WW (at twice the price :| ). At least the one from WW fits the battery cover!

the.fordhams Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:22 pm

I too bought a WW 6v black battery to fit my cover only to find the aftermarket high surrent battery cable clamps did not fit well enough.

Make sure you fully charge that WW item - I struggled for a long time. Mine does not seem to hold that much charge - with a professional battery tester it repeatedly says to charge it. It seems to hae settled at about 480 CCA. Normal batteries are 500+

Eventually settled for a red top optima, less money and more capacity - about 700 CCA.

Good luck,

Al

Jeckler Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:28 pm

Did you find the wrench? This place should have it.....

67 Florida Deluxe Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:19 pm

Jeckler wrote: Did you find the wrench? This place should have it.....

f'n a, man! I was really getting p.o.'d. I went to a couple different places they had all sizes EXCEPT 11mm. GRRRR!! :evil: Finally, I ended up across town at Sears (which is where I should have STARTED for tools - since I like Craftsman), and lo and behold, there it was! So I bought a couple of other things I really didnt need just to justify being there. But what the hell, I can always find a use for tools! :)

Now, I am just biding my time with the brake lines, adding penetrating oil every now and again and giving a tap on the parts. I got side tracked with a battery issue today anyway. I also got the front torsion bars greased, since the car is in the air. I am going to attack the brake lines again right now. We'll see if they give up the goods now that I have the correct tools!

- Kent

keifernet Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:27 pm

BTW... a 7/ 16" standard flare wrench will also work fine on the 11mm line connections

67 Florida Deluxe Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:47 pm

Well, I just came inside to check messages. I got the left front brake line off with the proper 11mm wrench and 17 and 14mm....EEEEWWWW! funky stuff in the line! I guess I'll have to think about replacing the dadgum calipers, too. (new thread I suppose...) :D

EverettB Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:16 am

They have a full set of every metric size you will need at Sears.
That is what I bought many years ago.

RareAir Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:28 am

Sears/Craftman tools are the best. Lower price & the same warranty as Snap-On. And everything is usually in stock

Alan Willis Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:30 am

Plus you don't have to chase the truck when one of the tools breaks :shock:

John Miller Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:24 pm

No one in my area carries a 6v/12v charger anymore. I had to buy it online from Hechinger, it's a Schumacher SE40MAP. Got it in about 5 days.

67 Florida Deluxe Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:34 pm

I had to call around for one, but I found a Schuamcher SE-82-6 dual rate, (2 and 6 amp) with a 6v/12v switch. $39.00 at Advance Discount Auto Parts. It did a good job. Completely charged the new battery in about 2 hours or so. I just hope I dont have the problems as Al (the.fordhams).

This dadgum battery was expensive!

-kent

Alan Willis Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:11 pm

How much are 6v batteries now?I gave up looking and converted to 12v

67 Florida Deluxe Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:28 pm

Alan Willis wrote: How much are 6v batteries now?I gave up looking and converted to 12v

I got a generic one from an auto parts store for around $49.00. But got it home and way too big for space under the seat.

got the right size battery from WW for around $125. :shock: It was sent without electrolytes so I had to buy three bottles of that, too. Dont know the cost of those...

Alan Willis Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:34 pm

Damn,too much work! I bought a brand new alternator($125),found a used stand at a friends house(free)all the bulbs I needed($25)and got the 12v armature($29)along with an autostick starter from Pomona($30)and bought a new battery from autozone for $40.So I paid about $250 two years ago for my conversion and still no probs,plus all my lights are brighter,and my car starts a helluva lot easier now

RareAir Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:47 pm

67 Florida Deluxe wrote: I had to buy three bottles of electrolytes. Dont know the cost of those...

If you bought them, you'd know the price.... :roll: