TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: A/C experts...help!
67 Florida Deluxe Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:52 pm

I have tried as best I can to work around the A/C components, but they are in the way of EVERYTHING I need to get to :? . According to the service records, the A/C was evacuated and recharged on October 1, 1979 (10,479 miles). This was likely the last time it was touched, since it went into "storage" with 11,650 miles in 1980. I have to assume the air was working at that time, per the last service record. So now will be the first time the system will be opened up. But I know that opening a system subjects the internals to humidy, which is not friendly to a/c systems.

Therefore, I need some expert advice on what to do to remove these components and preserve the integrity of the internals and keep them safe from moisture until I can get the car going and ready for the a/c to be re-installed...

I dropped an email to my HVAC professor at UF, too. I dont want to f anything up #-o Thanks!

- Kent

Miguel Arroyo Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:17 pm

It is a bit more complex, at least you will need a new drier. But in reality you are talking about components which are at least over 27 years. This means the hoses are most likely shot due to attack by ozone and time. Also all the seals are shot just due to age. Finally the original compresor (York most likely) is a monster both in size and in the ammount of power (5 to 7 HP) it took to run.

If you are still set on keeping the original A/C you could try to remove all the components (Note: It is illegal to vent R-12 to atmosphere, you need someone with a recovery system) and put a plastic cap at the end. Or you could be adventorous and assemble out of the car and pull a vaccum to remove the air and moisture.

Good luck.

Pd: If you choose to get a new A/C give Gilmore Enterprises a call. I have had one of their units here in Miami Beach for about 2 years and 4 months and it works great on my 70 Beetle (I drive it daily 70 miles).

67 Florida Deluxe Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:27 pm

You're right, Miguel, it is a York/Borg-Warner. It's a beast!! The drier is a given for replacement. The reason I want to be sure to remove and store it properly is because I want to try to get it going again after the rest of the car is done. I'm more interested in preserving the "originality" of the car than making it a reliable, efficient daily driver. So I want to be sure to store it properly so as not to cause any internal damage to the components. I also need to find someone who can rebuild it with new seals and whatnot.

-kent

Miguel Arroyo Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:34 am

Kent, the owner of Gilmore Enterprises stated he would rebuil the old components. I was very close doing so, in my case I had one hose that had to be replaced.

Being a non-standard size it had to be special order. My mechanic informed me I ran the risk that any of my 33 (in 2003) old hoses could go at any time in the future and the total to replace all of them and associate driers could reach $1,000. Furthermore since in my case it was to be a daily driver we also discussed that the 33 year old evaporator and condenser were not very efficient and once recharged they could either last 5 years or go out in less than a week.

Since I also had to fix/replace the old Yord compressor (which draws 5 to 7 Hp) i chosed to go with a new unit from Gilmore enterprises. I should point that the Gilmore Enterprises has two condensers each with its very own thermally controled fan. The original condenser sits in the front under the tire carrier and even though it does have a fan it depends ont he car moving forward to condense the R-12 and thus cool the cabin. Not very efficient in stop and go traffic like that in the Miami area.

There is another option you could go for. You could send the evaporator/fan housing to Gilmore Enterprises and they will install their evaporator, fan, and new fan/cool controls. This way the interior of the cab will "look" original.

As a final note I am not associated with Gilmore Enterprises nor do I get a comission. I just love the way their unit works. If you want to see pics of the way my unit works send me a regular email and I will send you back a few pics. Good luck.

Miguel

DrDarby Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:19 am

I'll back up Miguel here. I installed Gilmore's dual condensers in my problematic Mexi AirTemp system and have never driven a car with A/C as cold. I get 34 degree air at 90 degree ambient temps !

67 Florida Deluxe Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:09 am

Miguel Arroyo wrote: ...As a final note I am not associated with Gilmore Enterprises nor do I get a comission...Miguel

haha! I love your disclaimer! But you forgot "The views expressed by Miguel Arroyo are not necessarily those of Gilmore Enterprises, and do not constitute an endorsement of any product or service" (batteries not included and some assembly required) :D

At any rate, I appreciate the info. It certainly gives me some options. ($1,000!! - sheesh :shock: ) I have spoken with an A/C guy in town and he thinks that if the system has been closed all these years and is still holding a charge, I may find that the compressor will still work. Who knows? Fortunately, the R12 systems use a mineral oil based lubricant which is much more forgiving and does not absorb moisture like the newer refrigerants.

Another thing which is cool, both condenser coils have an electric fan perched on top with a shroud to direct the airflow. Neat!!

I think having the evaporator replaced with a new one in the original housing is really something! At least I have that to fall back on if the current evaporator is shot.

-kent

Miguel Arroyo Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:56 pm

LOL, and good luck. Post a couple of pics when you are done (at least this round).