TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: vain question
metaljim Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:51 pm

i'm planning out my rebuild for my 67, and i have a really stupid question. i plan on putting a lot of time and effort into my car, and i want to have a really nice finished product. a real crowd pleaser that i am proud of. so here's my question: are euro bumpers on a u.s. 67 a bad idea? i've seen a few 67's with them, and i like the way it looks, and while that's really what counts, i wanted everyones opinion on this matter. do you cringe when you see euro bumpers on a 67? or do you even care?

see, i told you it was a stupid question.

67jason Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:13 pm

euro bumpers dont bother me. i have seen many really clean 67's with them and they are nice. i do prefer the ones with the small overiders instead of the plain blade. however if you are going for 100% factory fresh stock then i would put the american style bumpers on.

67 Florida Deluxe Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:34 pm

ohmygod, whatta STUPID question!! (I'm just kidding :D !)

actually, euro bumpers are fine. what DOES look dumb is the holes in the apron and fenders for the overrider supports....IMHO, if you are going to go for the "euro" look, get the correct apron and fenders w/out the holes - or at least fill/paint them. The rubber/plastic plugs just draw attention that something is supposed to be there, but isnt. :-s

-kent

67jason Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:38 pm

good point about the overider holes.

metaljim Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:30 pm

yeah, good point. i totally overlooked that.

american spec it is then.

RareAir Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:06 am

Why is it that many VW enthusiasts in America prefer the Euro-Look (bumpers, taillight, semaphores, KPH speedo's, RHD etc...) while, by the same token, European VW enthusiasts prefer the US-spec cars? Hmmmm....

Alan Willis Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:07 am

You mean a bumper like mine?
<---------------------------------
(mine actually is European,though)

67jason Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:12 am

RareAir wrote: Why is it that many VW enthusiasts in America prefer the Euro-Look (bumpers, taillight, semaphores, KPH speedo's, RHD etc...) while, by the same token, European VW enthusiasts prefer the US-spec cars? Hmmmm....

its the "grass is always greener" syndrome.