TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1967 Flasher Relay Wiring
[email protected] Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:39 pm

I am just finishing up the wiring on my 1967 type 1. Coming out of the black flasher relay/module(located in around the fuse box and behind the speedo) is a little brown wire that the wiring diagram suggests is a ground wire. I am just wondering where the ground is suppose to be fasten? Where is the original location of this ground wire connection. Your help is appreciated so that i can get my car running.

thanks
Dave

67 Florida Deluxe Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:55 pm

Here is a photo of my '67 (you can see the brown wire just sitting on the floor of the trunk not connected to anything - between the 93 written in red crayon and the gas tank.) The photo is from my gallery...When I replaced my black box with another black box from a '67 it did not have the brown wire. I connected all the terminals as was on the original black box (less the brown wire) and everything works just fine... Sorry, I cant explain, but the brown wire on my car was never hooked to anything and I cannot find anything "missing" or not functioning with the "new" '67 box that doesnt have the brown wire. But from my experience, the car does not recognize the brown wire

-kent

glutamodo Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:15 am

The earliest versions of the black box did not have the ground wire - they ground via the bolt that attaches them to the body under there. I think they had problems with that being good enough, so they added the extra ground wire. I would connect the wire - I have such a box in my Baja and it's connected to a ground. Usually a good place to ground these is one of the speedometer mounting screws - many VW's have a ground pin that bolts up there.

The replacement box that Wolfburg West sells has a dedicated "31" pin and it comes with a wire attached to it, ending in an eyelet that looks like it's the size of the speedometer mounting screws.

volks67beetle Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:29 am

go here
http://www.type2.com/library/electris/vw-9prong.html

according to this site, the brown wire on terminal 31 is a ground wire. However, if I remember correctly it is for the blue nine pin relay used to replace the faulty black box one. Some 67's have the blue replacement box. if the black box does not work right, try grounding it like glutamodo said. The emergency 88 flasher knob is grounded by being connected tightly with the dash nut. Make sure that is tight. I just went through this with my 67 and ended up getting a used untested nine pin for 15 bucks here in the classifieds..that turned out to be a working one. Good luck.

Ragman Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:34 am

That brown wire goes to the ground screw on the back of your speedo on upper right side. I just dismantled a 1967 bug and this relay last week. And that is where it was attached.