TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: First long trip completed.
rusty57 Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:14 pm

The family and I took the square on our first long drive. We drove it around 100 miles round trip to check out any hidden bugs. The car worked flawlessly. Kids slept almost all the way to our destination. Wife is happy with the car, and i couldn't be happier if i was a pig in S%&T. The drive included about 45 minutes of stop and go freeway traffic on the way there in the middle of the day. On the way back (night) there was no traffic and the car proved itself keeping up with traffic. Best thing of all, it stayed cool the entire time. Only possible thing that it may need is the aftermarket exhaust replaced with a stock unit. Can you run stock exhaust with a 1776 dual carbed engine? Well fellas, just thought i'd share my first ride with you all. Thanks for reading.

These are my girls L to R, Mandy, Kayla, Megan, at the beginning of the trip.

About 15 minutes later.

This is why I love VW's. Hector

karfer67 Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:59 am

sounds like it all worked out good. i hope that once i get a rebuilt engine in my 72 square i will be singing the same song. as far as the exhaust what is on there now? i have always thought the single bug pack q-pack muffler is real quiet. atleast compared to my A-1 magnaflow i run hehe.

City_Masher Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:37 am

congrats. I am very happy for you. The kids look so peacful, I bet you were grinning.

I hope the same is for me. I need a little work to go into mine, but I plan on having 700 for break down repairs. I hope it doesn't happen.

Keep the love,
C.M.

Russ Wolfe Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:46 pm

On a 1776, I would use a 72-73 exhaust system. the tail pipe is a little larger and would help with back pressure on a bigger displacement engine.
I have a good used one, but shipping would be kinda expensive. I don't have the upper heat exchangers, which is something that people tend to throw away, when they go to an aftermarket exhaust on a T-3.

stymie Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:51 pm

Better check for exhaust leaks. Looks like your 3 passengers went into a coma.