TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: blead the stupid brakes!
volkswagenut Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:45 pm

hey guys was wondering if any of you had the same problem i have been having , i have bled brakes in the past but not like this .see if you guys can help me find the problem . i have a 59 bug all new everything have bled it and bled it tell the cows came home i thought i about had it . then i got in it the other day and it about went to the floor other than the obvious , blead it again have you had this problem . and no i have not seen any sign of leeks. ](*,)

Banzai KG Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:54 pm

Have you bench bled the master cylinder prior to bleeding the rest of the brakes?

Usually when I do a brake job, I adjust the brake shoes, then bleed the brakes, drive the car around/reverse, and recheck/readjust brakes, then after I'm satisfied, I adjust the parking brake.

metaljim Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:09 pm

i don't know if this is common, but after i did a master cylinder job a long time a go on a customer car, i just jammed on the pedal after bleeding. turned out that jamming the pedal right off the bat ended up "folding" the little rubber o-ring gasket on the piston, thus fucking up the master cylinder.

could it be?

scruffy5 Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:59 am

My 66 had been sitting 23 years so I replaced everything from the mastercylinder down and when I drove awhile I had three wheels lock up on me,forgot the hoses,they collapes on the inside. fixed that And then no brakes no matter what I tried. Bad mastercylinder brand new from Cipl,happens every once in awhile,put in new kit,fixed

andk5591 Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:57 am

Hey - just say a whole post on this a couple dayas ago - as mentioned earlier - you need to bleed the hell out of the master cylinder as well as the individual lines - I went through this a while a ago. I ened up going throughthe entire process about 4 or 5 times.

volkswagenut Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:22 pm

thanks for the info , i will give it a try and see what i come up with . :wink: whats the best way to bench bleed the master ? you got any special tricks . :)

VWRAT67 Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:34 pm

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i don't know if this is common, but after i did a master cylinder job a long time a go on a customer car, i just jammed on the pedal after bleeding. turned out that jamming the pedal right off the bat ended up "folding" the little rubber o-ring gasket on the piston, thus fucking up the master cylinder.

My buddy had the same problem with his master cylinder

steven wood Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:35 pm

I've never bench bled a "VW" master cylinder, but put the master cylinder in a vise , plug the outlet holes with plugs that are sometimes supplied with the master cylinder. Fill the master cylinder with NEW fluid and use a wooden dowel rod to push the master cylinder plunger in and out, the air will come out in to the reservior. Keep doing this until all of the air has been removed. When you go to install the master cylinder, keep the fluid in the reservior and install it back in the car. If everything goes good, you should only have air in the brake lines. Re-bleed the brakes again starting with the passenger side rear wheel, then the driver side rear wheel, then the passenger side front and so on.

67 Florida Deluxe Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:09 pm

steven wood wrote: I've never bench bled a "VW" master cylinder, but put the master cylinder in a vise , plug the outlet holes with plugs that are sometimes supplied with the master cylinder. Fill the master cylinder with NEW fluid and use a wooden dowel rod to push the master cylinder plunger in and out, the air will come out in to the reservior. Keep doing this until all of the air has been removed. When you go to install the master cylinder, keep the fluid in the reservior and install it back in the car. If everything goes good, you should only have air in the brake lines. Re-bleed the brakes again starting with the passenger side rear wheel, then the driver side rear wheel, then the passenger side front and so on.

Thanks for the post. I will be replacing all the hydraulics on my '65 very soon and was not familiar with "bench bleeding". I have read a number of posts where the bleeding taking eons. This procedure makes sense and should help knock some time off! (hopefully :| ) I think I went with the right equipment...FTE Automotive (F.A.G ) master cyl, and A.T.E. wheel cylinders...no shoes yet. Suggestions? I want the best quality hydraulics and shoes. No foolin around with brakes!!

-kent

Rusted Rockers Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:53 pm

brakes are pl@yed out!!!! :lol: it does sound like a bench bleeding problem.....if its a bad master cylinder ive got one pm if needed!!!

LennyC Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:57 pm

I went tru that last year on my 66. I had just bought it "RESTORED", the prvious shop had not put the pin on correctly on one of the front shoes. I had to replace the shoes, drum , and wheel cylinder,
I was not able to bleed the brakes. My neighbor and father-n-law wouldn't
come by anymore! They each spent three hours pumping the brakes for me while I tried to bleed the brakes. I replaced the master, and checked all the metal lines just to be sure! Guess what-still not drivable. I removed the master and bench bleed it-What a mess- fluid shot everwhere.
This is what finally worked- adjust the brakes as tight as possible, I used
the old resevoir cap ( changed the bottle,cap,and hose to the master as well!)
drilled a hole and ran screwed my quick connect air fitting into it. Attached my air line (after the dryer) and turned on the compressor. Don't go crazy-
8-10lbs pressure should be enough. You can by a manual pressure bleeder,or make one out of a garden chemical sprayer ( but I am CHEAP!!!
LOL ) With the pressure, you will get the air out of the system-just don't
empty the resevior. Also make sure you start from the longest line to the closest-RR-LR-RF-LF. As long as the lines and wheel cylinders are good this should do the trick. Just don't go crazy withthe air pressure, take your time, and don't empty the resevior. This should do the trick.-Lenny

scruffy5 Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:03 am

:D I use a mityvac to bleed mine works great, the only problem is your in-laws come back

bill may Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:50 am

with master in place you can crack open a line at master to bleed /blead the master while partner holds pedal down. use a hose from bleeder screw into a container of brake fluid(soda bottle or other clear one) so you can see bubbles if present, when doing bleeding procedure on wheel cylinders.

volkswagenut Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:24 am

thanks for the tips guys i wil probly try this bench bleeding thing :wink: