TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Missing Engine Tin
bassheavy Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:01 am

I'm new to the Beetle side, I have posted on the Bay forum (1969)

I figured out why my "New" 65 Bug (new 1600 DP) has been running hot...IT HAS MISSING FRONT ENGINE TIN, incorrect front tin (has cut-outs and I don't need them), no front or rear engine seals or tin behind the pulley. I've worked on and have had different VW's all of my adult life (all Type 1 or 2) but never needed to fix these issues. Any feedback/things I should look for?
I won't be able to tackle the job until the weekend any advice to help cooling for the time being?

keifernet Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:03 am

If you are missing the firewall tin, you will need to pull the motor... it is frustrating and damn near impossible to get that piece in with the engine in the car let alone the rubber seal if it is not there.

bassheavy Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:06 am

Yeah, I figured as such, are the rubber seals difficult or tricky to install?

sweet66 Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:25 am

Yea the rubber seals can be a bitch it just depends, the car i had to put the rubber in the dumbass painted his car and he painted inside the channels where the rubber went so it was even harder, yea and i would get those pices of tin in right away!!!! the first car i bought was missing the tin and i was a newbie to vw's and didnt know any better, and a week later my motor died, if you dont have the tin and there isn't a v-dub shop near you i would recomend wolfgang they have all kinds of tin and good prices too www.wolfgangint.com or (530) 246-4264

bassheavy Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:22 am

well I found a place to go here with some good prices(thank god for So. Cal.) I'll try and tackle it today.

67jason Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:22 am

if its all possible, replace that tin with good used german stuff rather then aftermarket reproductions. the german stuff just fits better.

bassheavy Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:35 am

Well here's the update, yesterday I pulled the engine and put on all of the stuff. The only problem I had was that I think the piece that goes on the pulley is rubbing...I can hear it scratching against something. But that it an easy fix compared to the firewall tin and seal!!! Also, I had a problem putting back the upper engine bolt...it's really close to the clutch lever (It is still not fixed :( ). I worked from 12 noon and finished at 10:00pm (thank god for worklights!). When I first fired her up, the car wasn't running right but I was tired and had to leave it. At 5:00 this morning I went out and tried to figure out what was wrong, it turned out that I had #1 and #2 spark plug wires crossed AND spark plug #1 was super loose!!!

Am I correct in assuming that I can replace the pulley tin without going through the whole thing over again?

By the way my ride is staying way cool! I drove to school this morning about 25 miles away and didn't smell anything weird, the lid wasn't hot and when I opened the deck there wasn't any smoke.

THANKS A LOT Y'ALL! I got this ride last week and SWEET66's testimony put the fear of God in me!

sweet66 Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:45 am

Yea its a good thing you got those back in, its amazing how vw's work and how much of a difference a couple pices of tin can do!

man i wish i would of known that when i first got my car :cry: