TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What MPG and Engine have in your Square?
vwdub04 Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:43 pm

I'm really thinking about getting a square, so your honest results would be very helpful. I want it as a daily driver. Are dual carbs with linkage hard to maintain? Help :shock: I only know about bugs the pancake style is an alien to me.

notchback Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:03 pm

vwdub04 wrote: I'm really thinking about getting a square, so your honest results would be very helpful. I want it as a daily driver. Are dual carbs with linkage hard to maintain? Help :shock: I only know about bugs the pancake style is an alien to me.

You just started a thread less than 7 hours ago asking the same type of questions.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1296940
Go there for your answers.

If you need more info, ask another question in the same thread.

Dodgy Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:12 am

What he said ^^^ but I'll add a little too.

I just moved from 12 years Beetle driving to Type 3 about three years ago. Used my squareback as daily (only) driver for a couple of years without any problems. Now it's off the road for a full resto.

I'd say my Bug is more fun to drive (late super with discs and R&P steering - high tech! 8) ) but the square feels much more 'modern', and more comfy. Not to mention more practical.

Learning to tune dual carbs was a journey, in the end the best advice I found in the John Muir book. Have since found the web page here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/t3dualcarbtuning/index.php which says pretty much the same thing, but with better pictures.

If you're used to the fact that older cars need a little more attention & maintenance, and you're used to ACVWs then you'll enjoy your Type 3. Just be prepared for the fact that parts are harder to come by than for Bugs.

vw4life269s Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:33 pm

I drive a 69 square with a type 4 2056 cc and have Vanagon FI on it and get anywere from 23 to 30 mpg on a full tank.I have driven it to sac o rama and got 30 mpg and thats on 10 gallons!now its at about 18 to 23 mpg in georgia were its colder so runs richer and engine has 38,547 miles on it! see my pic in the gallery! I also drove it from so-cal to atl, ga in 3 days!! :wink:

Bobnotch Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:19 pm

My 69 AT Square never got the fuel mileage that my old 70 MT Square got. :shock: The 69 was always 2 to 3 miles less per gallon than the 70, and the best the 70 got 27.5 on the highway, 21.5 city. My Notch gets closer to the 70's mileage, but it's a little more areodynamically challenged. :roll: All the cars however were carbed, so that part stayed the same, although the 70 ran with Weber 34 ICTs, while the Notch and 69 AT had Solex 32 carbs. I don't know if that makes any difference, but it's just an observation.