TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cheapest place to buy parts online?
BaggedVdub58 Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:44 am

Is there a specific companies everyone like to get their vw parts from? Anyone want to recommend anyone? Thanx alot!

hsu1995 Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:53 am

I have been very pleased with So. Cal Imports' prices and quality. I have ordered about 90% of my parts from So. Cal Imports. There have been times when I have ordered and I get my stuff the next day(I do live in Las Vegas, NV and they are in Los Angeles, that's probably why I get things so soon). www.socalautoparts.com

-Speedy G.

turboblue Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:53 am

Cheaper is not always better.
Buy the good stuff and cry once.

John has some good products.
www.aircooled.net

myk648 Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:52 am

Like they say " You get what you pay for". I agree. Buy the good stuff..it'll hurt the bank account, but you'll be happier in the long run.

G-wood Todd Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:53 am

hsu1995 wrote: I have been very pleased with So. Cal Imports' prices and quality.

-Speedy G.

I have not been pleased with So. Cal Imports. Yes their prices are cheap, but everything that I have gotten is junk. When I bought from them, I would have problems with my orders. More importantly, when I did have problems their customer service was very poor. I WILL NEVER order from them. I get most of my parts from CIP1. They have good prices and decent quality parts. Plus free shipping. http://www.cip1.com/

mrmarcdude Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:13 pm

So you guys are saying that the stuff from so cal imports is junk? Im looking for some weatherstripping. Thier prices are AMAZING

BaggedVdub58 Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:30 pm

Im just looking for Lowest prices.... I dont want crappy stuff I want to find the lowest prices for the quality parts.... I have been going through CB Performance for 95% of my stuff when i built my bug the first time but, sometimes i feel I could of gotten a better deal somewhere else... Dont get me wrong The people their are amazing! Just shopping around.. :)

Thanx alot guys

Major Woody Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:34 pm

I buy from CIP1 and Wolfsburg West.
The key is to know whose parts you are buying. If it is a commodity part that everyone is selling, I have no problems buying it from the cheapest source. But some parts are "unknowns" and I don't want some shitty part that falls apart right away or doesn't fit.

renderit Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:39 am

For cheap I use Moores. They are comparable in price and I've never had a problem with them. I used their seals on a 72 for my son and thought they were much better quality rubber than MAMO sells. I've never had a problem with them, WW, aircooled.

PRC67 Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:06 am

I have bought a few little things from So Cal and there customer service is hit or miss. Wolfsburg West is easy to deal with, and quick to get you stuff. CIP1 I have heard alot of good things about.

bill may Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:12 am

serrano's and gene berg and wolfie west are three best to get parts from. depends on parts you need.

draakarmaul Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:27 am

I agree about avoiding socal. They may seem to be cheap, but what they charge for box fees and shipping is outrageous.CIP1 is the best out there IMO. Good prices, free shipping and excellent customer service. As far as quality goes, remember that the majority of parts are made by the SAME supplier. It just depends on whether or not you want to brag on getting your parts from WW exclusively, or being proud that you spent more on a resto than you had to.

Alan Willis Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:37 am

JCWhitney! Hands down the absolute cheapest you will find!

Green Apple Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:12 am

I was buying from Cip1 since they have a Canadian location but you have to watch them. They do have packaging costs, and the free shipping only applies to some items (see the fine print). They also have a new policy to screw Canadian customers with their dollar conversion.

Jeckler Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:47 am

Green Apple wrote: I was buying from Cip1 since they have a Canadian location but you have to watch them. They do have packaging costs,
They do?

Quote: and the free shipping only applies to some items (see the fine print).

Or look for this symbol...

Quote: They also have a new policy to screw Canadian customers with their dollar conversion.

Eh? How's that work?

Green Apple Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:00 pm

On my last purchase I was charged a 40% exchange rate for paying in Canadian dollars.
:wink: US money order next time.

Bruce Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:00 pm

When was it? If it was 3+ years ago, that's about right.

glutamodo Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:18 am

I've also bought a lot from Wolfsburg West and some from CIP1. Both places I've had good luck with. JC Whitney - well at least they tell you what brand you are getting on many of their items nowadays, but buyer beware on some things, if it's really cheap, it's because it's probably the cheapest junk out there.

One place that I don't think has been mentioned though, is The Bus Depot. They sell a lot more than just Bus Parts - they do all VW's including a lot of watercooled parts. They don't advertise much, if any, which keeps their prices down, but limits their visibility. I've bought from them before and found their prices, parts and service to all be quite good, and I recommend them:

http://www.busdepot.com/index2.jsp

-Andy

dlman_1999 Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:29 am

I guess from my viewpoint really the question is the value you get for your money.

It would not do me personally any good to buy cheap parts, because I need people to bounce ideas off.

Yes I am a weekend hacker so the technical support is very valuable. Saving money but not able to drive the car because you can't figure out why your car is not running doesn't make sense.

Just my two cents worth.