TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cracked Head
GearheadJim Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:56 am

Well, I found my source of lost compression, cracked the head in the normal spot between the spark plug hole and the valve. It's getting a little tough to find single port T3 heads. I looked through my stash of single port heads but they are all T1 and it appears the difference between a T3 and T1 single port head is the location of the intake manifold mount, lower on the T3 likely to provide the clearence to fit under the lid. Has anyone had experience having a cracked head welded? Or am I better off just sourcing a new head?

ibjack Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:10 am

Send it to Rimco in Santa Ana CA. They can fix just about anything, They specialize in VW's.

Russ Wolfe Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:40 pm

There is no difference between T-1 and T-3 single port heads. There are early and late heads, but the rocker arms are the main difference there, and possibly the size of the valves, on the real early ones.
I might have some extra single port heads here, but I have not checked into there condition.

tripicana Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:24 am

i thought t-3 single port heads had a larger combustion chamber volume? i haven't actualy measured my set but had planned on using them when i build my 1700 for a lower c/r without alot of machining. i too would like to know if the intake is in a different postion and if it would work with a t-1 style manifold and tin.

Russ Wolfe Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:49 pm

tripicana wrote: i thought t-3 single port heads had a larger combustion chamber volume? i haven't actualy measured my set but had planned on using them when i build my 1700 for a lower c/r without alot of machining. i too would like to know if the intake is in a different postion and if it would work with a t-1 style manifold and tin.
They are the same on the single ports, but different on the dual ports. The dual port T-1's have a step in them to lower the compression ratio.
Late T-3 DP's had the lower compression ratio too.
Why would you want to put T-1 intake manifold and tin on a T-3 engine? The tin won't work because the cooling system is COMPLETELY different between the 2 engines.

tripicana Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:37 pm

im planning on using my old single port heads from my 66 fasty to build a motor for my baja.