TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help. Oil pump and cam don't match.
jaybrownbike Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:18 pm

I just went to replace my oil pump on my '67 due to pressure/ overheating issues and found out that the old pump wasn't even reaching the cam. The key on the pump is 1/2" wide and not nearly deep enough to ride on the cam. The notch on the cam is like 1 1/2" wide. The case was bought used and I was told it was a type I. Is this a later type I case? What kind of pump do I need to fit this large-notched cam?

engine # AH048528

Jay

glutamodo Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:30 pm

The width of that groove on the end of the cam is not the problem. It's the location of the groove . There's only two types of cams - the 3-rivet(or bolt) style and the later 4-rivet style. The 3 rivet style is shallower, and has become the "standard" for all aftermarket camshahts. The 4-rivet style "dished" cam was to accomodate an oil pump that set deeper because it came stock with larger gears, which VW went to when they changed to dual port and the "doghouse" oil cooler for the 1971 model year.

Sounds like you have an early-style pump in a case that contains a late style 4-rivet "dished" cam. So you'll need to buy a "dished cam" type of oil pump. Like this:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D115%2D107%2DBK

jaybrownbike Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:46 pm

Thanks for the info. I guess i've been driving around with no oil pump this whole time. No wonder the engine had issues.