TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Drivable 1971 Fastback FINALLY Page: 1, 2  Next
COFBack Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:00 am

OK, so here it is
1971 Fastback
I'm the second owner (as far as I know). Has Vern Hagestad VW dealer on the decklid and the name on the title was Hagestad.

Work so far is engine replacement, full round of brake parts, front wheel bearings, shocks all around, door seals, rear deck seal, fuel gauge sender and front seat cover replacement.

Couple other pictures in the gallery.

Bout frigging time. Purchased the car 16 Mar 05. It has been an odessey so far.

RMS

COFBack Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:01 am

DOH !
what did I do wrong on the pic?

Back to remedial Samba

SH!T

EDIT: Back from remedial Samba-- Have to get to the screen where it's only the picture.

COFBack Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:12 am

tripicana Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:32 am

nice to see another fastback in the springs. that picture was taken at garden of the gods, right? i have only seen one other fastback driving around in town. have seen several squarebacks driving and several notches at a show. when i saw the fasty, i was in mine, and the look on both our faces as we passsed each other must have been like we saw a ghost.
Joe

FASTBACKDON Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:37 am

ha ha Tripicana In my gallery I have a picture like that I turned left down a side street he was turning right we parked and talked awhile very few fastbacks anywhere in numbers I am in so calif I have only seen a half dozen around and 4 of them are in our car club DSSK

Tram Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:43 am

GEEZ, CO- All that work, and it's only a pig- nose? :shock:

Just yankin' yer chain, Boy. :wink: Nice car, glad you finally got her running! :D

josh Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:48 pm

Nice fasty.

Your not driving it on road salt are ya?

tripicana Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:29 am

they rarely salt the roads in colorado. they just dump a sh!tload of sand on it. id be worried about cracking the windshield.

COFBack Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:48 am

Trip is SO right.
The windshield in my wagoneer looks like it's been sandblasted. Same with the Commando. I have considered getting windshield coverage on my insurance. Sucks

Rome Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:38 pm

Congratulations on getting the car running :D ! Looks like a very solid car without the usual rust in the front fenders. Your photos must have been very close to home, since the windows are not defrosted yet? The heat in my '70 Fasty is quite good once the car hits the highway.

For that bump in the rear bumper, you can take it off, put it in a vise with some wood blocks on top and below the bump, and carefully tighten the jaws so that the bump shrinks down. Might need a helper to juggle everything, or at least tape the wood to the bumper while doing this.

COFBack Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:05 pm

Rome

Funny thing on the defog. The car sat outside first night I brought it home. Got snowed on. Then I put it in the garage. When the snow melted it was a mess.

Saturday it was friggin COLD here (8-10*). I was determined to take pic but didn't want the car covered with a month of dust. Went to the quarter carwash before heading up to the photo op.

What you are seeing is a fine sheet of ice that covered the car after I shot it at the carwash. Like I said it was DAMN COLD.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas on the bumper. My goal is to drive the damn thing now that it is running. Maintenance only for a while.

Rome Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:02 pm

Cof, after washing your car in that temperature, your fingers could still move to push the camera's shutter button?!

Way back 30 years ago I had a '71 Fastback during my first year in college. Still had its stock FI which ran just fine. One winter we had unusually cold weather, like -20F here in southern NY. My Fasty was parked outside for a week while we went away to a ski trip in Maine, but started right up when we came back. Even after 5 years it had developed rust holes in the top rear corners of the front fenders; but here in NY they do salt the roads alot.

Ah- a prudent lesson I learned from my '71 back then- replace all your fuel lines with the proper German high-pressure cloth braided fuel hose ASAP! Do it before you drive the car next, unless you already have done that. I didn't when I had my '71 and got stuck once due to the hose shearing but luckily no engine fire :oops: .

Gary Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:22 pm

Very nice car. I bet it handles snowy hills with you giggling.

COFBack Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:37 pm

Rome-- It was a quick photo shoot to say the least. I'll get more soon when you can see the Peak. Fuel lines are all new but not after a "get me a F#$%ing bucket" event in the garage.

Icy-- Thanks, I was tempted to take it out last weekend and play in the snow just to see how it would handle but I had some throttle sticking issues and didn't want to get stranded in 10 degree weather. We'll get some more snow (our biggest months are Feb-Mar) then I'll head down to the community college parking lot and have some fun.

BTW, we used to spend HOURS and HOURS behind LLoyd Noble Center when it snowed in OK. Now that was fun.

RMS

Phatusatus Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:21 pm

Glad to see you got your car running. It'll be nice to have another fasty running around the Springs.

COFBack Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:14 am

PHAT

Perhaps I should change my sig line to '71 Fastback (crappy progressive)

Didn't know you had 2 squares, are they new?

Give me a yell when you get a chance.

RMS

COFBack Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:44 pm

Same place 6 days later.
50 degrees instead of 15.

Posted a few more in the gallery

RMS

square_71 Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:52 pm

Nice fasty.

Had 3 fasty's already.

Now I have a square, and it's great.
Wouldn't change it for the world! :roll:

eurodynamix Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:24 pm

Those pictures make me homesick!!! It's been several years since I have been to Garden of the Gods. I used to drive the Fasty home from college (Chadron, Nebraska to Loveland, CO) anytime the wife wouldn't gripe about it. Nice pictures.

As much of a hassle as it was to drive Homer 300 miles each way, anytime I was in CO and didn't have a Vdub I would always be missing it!

VerySquareBack Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:56 am

Looks real good! Congratulations on getting finished.

Did you get the vacuum modulator/transmissin to work as you wanted, and which carbs are you using now?
Tedd.