TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type 3 one piece window kits?
sean1975 Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:14 pm

I have a 69 Fastback and would like to know if the one piece window kit for the beetles will fit? I have looked everwhere for type 3 kits and just cant find them

chodee66 Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:25 pm

I have type three one piece windows, Was a kit still brand new in the box. It doesnt have the scrapers or the felt. Your welcome to it. Pm me if you're interested

69sqbck Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:31 pm

Last I checked you can get them from EMPI.

goobert3 Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:40 pm

Last I checked they SUCK!!!! I have them in my 68 Fast Back and they don't fit worth a crap. I have known several people that have have them and they just don't fit right!! The only ones that have are the people that used the one piece windows with power window kits.

Phil

FASTBACKDON Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:13 pm

sean1975 wrote: I have a 69 Fastback and would like to know if the one piece window kit for the beetles will fit? I have looked everwhere for type 3 kits and just cant find them
DONT DO IT you will be sorry plus the type 1 door is different in size than the type 3 the 1 peice windows have never worked right keep the classic vent wings

localboy Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:31 pm

FASTBACKDON wrote: DONT DO IT you will be sorry...the 1 peice windows have never worked right keep the classic vent wings

I concur...they don't fit well, leak, rattle etc. Why mess with a good thing. Spend the time/money rebuilding the vents if necessary.

COFBack Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:38 pm

Why would you want to get rid of your A/C???

FASTBACKDON Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:02 pm

COFBack wrote: Why would you want to get rid of your A/C??? I agree those vent windows are such a great and classic part of the car. It is amazing how well they work too bad they stopped putting them on cars

Russ Wolfe Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:41 pm

And, if you are a smoker (like I used to be), the vent wings are an instant ash tray.
:roll:

goobert3 Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:38 pm

Like I said before they suck, I kick myself in tha butt everyday for cutting my doors to fit those things. Now all I do is try to figure out how to get my wing windows back in without replacing the whole door.

Phil

60DoubleTurd Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:33 pm

I had one piece windows way back in the day. And I have a different opinion. Although I wouldnt do it now for different reasons like the fact that I think they look better with wings. But if you take your time and do them right you can make them work fine. You need the proper window regulators for starters and different sashes. You do have to do a lot of fab work to the door also to make the different regulators fit. And if you dont like them after a while with all those fabs you will have to change the door to go back to stock.

blankmange Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:24 am

sean1975 wrote: I have a 69 Fastback and would like to know if the one piece window kit for the beetles will fit? I have looked everwhere for type 3 kits and just cant find them

but why?

vujade Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:20 am

the best I have seen 1 piece windows work was with power
regulators instead of bug regulators. They worked just like they should.

grethi Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:54 am

I think that the one-piece windows are dependent on quality parts and installation skill. I've seen bug windows that sealed better than my wing-equipped T-3.

I figure if it's already got it, enjoy it. If it doesn't, save the doors and get already converted doors.

60DoubleTurd Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:59 am

That seems like good advice. But the fact is that if you are starting out with a door that someone got rid of its more than likely not going to work. Its probably someone elses problem and thats why its for sale. I guess if you wanten to save your original door for your car the best thing to do is to go to a junk yard and rework a set of used doors. That way if you dont like em you still have your OG doors for your car.