TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Raising My Slamed Bug????????
chagon Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:31 pm

Okay so I just purchased a 61 bug but when I bought it was so slamed that the front end rubs and I can't even make it up the gutter to get the car into driveway without going at a 45! So today when I got home me and a buddy ripped into the left side and I pulled the knuckle off (it is a type one) and I have looked and looked for every possible way but everything I found was completly wrong and it did absoulutly nothin... so this is my first vw ever and I have been told by so many people how easy it is to raise and lower the front...so I already feel realy stupid and really frustrated. Any and all intellegent controbutions are greatly apreatiated.

Thanks In Advance.
Casey

Alan Willis Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:56 pm

Look at the front beam,in the center of the beam you will find an adjuster,one on the bottom beam and one on the top.You will have to readjust the front end here

RareAir Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:53 am

If you can't find an adjuster on the beam as Alan suggested, previous wner probably lowered the front end by removing the leaf springs inside the tubes.

chagon Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:28 pm

thanks for the help guys but can you give me anything more detailed....I think I found it but some pictures would be great!!

Jeckler Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:30 pm

This is what the center of a stock beam looks like....

These are probably the most popular style of adjusters....

This is another style....

67_13Deluxe Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:11 am

OK he obviously was ablt to figure it out. This thread also relates to me. I have the most popular type of adjustable beam. I am having a hell of a time raising up my front end. In fact last night when i tried to do it i think i dropped it more. How do i adjust it so my tires are not rubbing anymore?

my61rag Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:12 am

you need to jack the front of the car up, then loosen the adjuster to set them where you want them. If the car is lowered alot without a narrowed beam (cut, narrowed, and welded bad shorter to pull the tires more into the fender wells) then the tires will rub on the outside fender wells.

-shaun

67_13Deluxe Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:49 am

my61rag wrote: you need to jack the front of the car up, then loosen the adjuster to set them where you want them. If the car is lowered alot without a narrowed beam (cut, narrowed, and welded bad shorter to pull the tires more into the fender wells) then the tires will rub on the outside fender wells.

-shaun
raise the car up and set the adjustor nuts? will the wheels move when i do this? My front end is about 4 inches off the ground. I am putting stock rims and wheels back on it and getting rid of that porsche style crap. which way do i move the adjustors to raise them up? Thanks for the help.

my61rag Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:55 am

you want to loosen the adjusters when it is up in the air and then the adjusters should go up (pull down on the wheels. then tighten it back up and drop it back on the ground........

-shaun

67_13Deluxe Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:26 pm

my61rag wrote: you want to loosen the adjusters when it is up in the air and then the adjusters should go up (pull down on the wheels. then tighten it back up and drop it back on the ground........

-shaun
Thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

67_13Deluxe Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:40 pm

ok whats the secret? got my adjustors loose, but the wheels wont move. wht else do i have to loosen? or what do i have to do now?

luckystiff Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:13 pm

apparently the car is trying to tell you that there isn't enough lowered vw's in nc and it wants to stay where it is. hahaha. have you swapped the wheel to see how much the ones you want to run rub if at all? it's a fact that lowered vw's handle better anyhow. hell my problem is i can't find dropped spindles in stock anywhere to get even lower than i am now.hahaha...ken....

inch pincher Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:21 pm

67_13Deluxe wrote: my61rag wrote: you need to jack the front of the car up, then loosen the adjuster to set them where you want them. If the car is lowered alot without a narrowed beam (cut, narrowed, and welded bad shorter to pull the tires more into the fender wells) then the tires will rub on the outside fender wells.

-shaun
raise the car up and set the adjustor nuts? will the wheels move when i do this? My front end is about 4 inches off the ground. I am putting stock rims and wheels back on it and getting rid of that porsche style crap. which way do i move the adjustors to raise them up? Thanks for the help.

ill take the porsche stuff. your right it's junk anyways :lol: :lol: :lol:

vwjedi Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:01 pm

Yes, send any and all "Porsche style crap" my way. Rader wheels are reeel sh*tty and Sprintstars are ass out too. :wink: Get that junk off your ride!

67_13Deluxe Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:24 am

luckystiff wrote: apparently the car is trying to tell you that there isn't enough lowered vw's in nc and it wants to stay where it is. hahaha. have you swapped the wheel to see how much the ones you want to run rub if at all? it's a fact that lowered vw's handle better anyhow. hell my problem is i can't find dropped spindles in stock anywhere to get even lower than i am now.hahaha...ken....
The ones i want to run are stock rims and stock size. A lot bigger than the ones i have on there now. THey will definately rub!!!! and my beam wont go up!!!! anyone want this beam for a stock beam??

67_13Deluxe Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:25 am

All ready got rid of the porshec style shit b the way. Gave it to a friend of mine. for some stock rims :lol:

luckystiff Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:02 am

does it have dropped spindles on it? if so i will find you a complete spindle to spindle stock set up and trade you. easy way to tell is if it's low and the wheels are still centered in the wheelwell it has dropped spindles. if the wheels are kind of far forward in the wheel wells it doesn't. are you wanting to go back to stock height or just raise it up a bit? if you post a side shot with more focus on the front it should be fairly easy to tell if it is as low as you say it is. either way i'm sure i can find you a beam around here pretty easy. man you traded porsche stuff for stock wheels your friend must be a really good friend and a happy camper now. if you need i can find you a beam right here in nc and shipping a beam usually isn't to bad...ken....