TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My new project, need brake advice
neonrick Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:34 pm

Well, I'm just making my new Square functional right now. I will be using it for a parts hauler and rainy day car. (I ride my zx6r most of the time)

I took the wheels off and the brakes need a good overhaul. All fluid is gone so there is no pedal pressure. So I plan on replacing the master cylinder, both calipers and pads up front and the wheel cylinders and shoes out back. Where would you guys suggest I buy my parts from. Jbugs has the master cylinder for $109, do you all have a better place for me?

Thanks for the info in advance.

Rick

6T5 square Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:43 pm

Year? model? single or dual? front disc? original parts?

Save everything until you know the new ones work and fit.

COFBack Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:45 pm

Buy German discs and drums.
I ended up buying brazillian and they sucked.

Either way have your discs and drums trued before installing

Not a tough job and might as well do front wheel bearing while you are at it.

rms

neonrick Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:00 pm

Sorry, it's a 69 Squareback. I just want to do a complete job. So where do yall suggest i shop for the parts?

Rick

Russ Wolfe Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:01 pm

Replace the flexable lines. And the long line that runs thru the insdie of the car by the pedals.
This metal line gets all the slop that falls off your shoes when you get in and out. and it is probably rusted out.
Get an ATe master cylinder. There is a brazilian master cylinder sold that sucks because it has extra ports and stuff that you have to plug. I think it is made by Varta??

dailydrivervw Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:56 pm

Check the samba classifieds for T3 parts. An ad (from Fl I think) in the last day or two had all new brake stuff; master, calipers, rotors etc. Worth a look, I think it was namebrand stuff.

neonrick Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:25 pm

Thanks, I e-mailed him, just waiting for a reply now.

Rick