TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rear brake drum retaining nut
67 Florida Deluxe Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:15 pm

I'm trying to get the rear drums off to replace the brake shoes and wheel cylinders. I looked in the Bentley but it just says "remove cotter pin and nut". But it doesnt say if the rear brake drum retaining nut is right-hand threaded (standard) or left-hand threaded. The ones on the front are left-handed on driver's side and standard on passenger side. Is it the same on the rear?

Also, what size is the nut - it is much larger than the 27mm nut on the fronts. thanks

-Kent

Jeckler Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:20 pm

righty-tighty, lefty-loosey, both sides.

36mm

67 Florida Deluxe Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:23 pm

I wonder why the fronts are reversed on each side? Oh, well, not important... Thanks!

Jeckler Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:27 pm

67 Florida Deluxe wrote: I wonder why the fronts are reversed on each side? Oh, well, not important... Thanks!

Lack of a cotter pin should give you a hint. :wink:

67 Florida Deluxe Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:58 pm

Jeckler wrote: 67 Florida Deluxe wrote: I wonder why the fronts are reversed on each side? Oh, well, not important... Thanks!

Lack of a cotter pin should give you a hint. :wink:

They have lock clip things between the two nuts that you have to bend straight before taking off the nuts :wink: ...

At any rate, no luck on the rear nuts they wont budge and I have soaked them in PB Blaster. I wonder if heating them would help??

This is now getting aggravating :x

Jeckler Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:59 pm

What are you using to try and remove them?

67 Florida Deluxe Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:03 pm

Jeckler wrote: What are you using to try and remove them?

The wrong tool - a big adjustable wrench. I used a 27mm socket on my breaker bar for the front but I dont have a 36MM...yet

coW Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:12 pm

67 Florida Deluxe wrote: Jeckler wrote: What are you using to try and remove them?

The wrong tool - a big adjustable wrench. I used a 27mm socket on my breaker bar for the front but I dont have a 36MM...yet

Well, there's your problem. I wouldn't mess with an adjustable wrench - on something that large, only use the right tool.

Once you have a 36mm socket (get a 6 point - not a 12 point), you may need to slip a pole around the breaker bar. That's what works for me on large nuts/bolts. Bang the end of it with a hammer to work it loose. Sometimes you have to almost hang from it to get it loose.
Radio slack antenna poles work really well for cheaters.

67 Florida Deluxe Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:52 pm

I just realized that "rear axle nut threads" post is asking the same thing... #-o sorry for the duplication!

I will go down tomorrow and get the correct socket. I had no idea the nut would be such a beotch :? At least I know the right size now...

glandnut Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:00 pm

If you don't get "at least" a 1/2" breaker and a 36mm socket, that bad boy isn't coming off. And I've broken many 1/2" breaker bars until I had the local welding shop make Bubba for me. Two 1/2" rods, welded side by side and lengthwise, and a 36mm 6 point socket welded to the end, 2 1/2 feet long total. Also, those cast 36mm axle wackers are awesome, just take off the rim first so you don't go bustin off all your hubcap clips. Kent- you just need to get some of us to come over and help you tackle some of that stuff with you!

Also, on the front spindles the drivers side is reverse thread (right loose, left tight) so the wheel spinning forward don't sling the spindle nut loose. Passenger side is OK for regular thread because the spinning wheel is going clockwise- which is in effect keeping the nut tight, or at least from coming loose.

TWD Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:04 pm

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D7036

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D7040

I really like the torque meister copy, but the bottom one also works.

glutamodo Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:54 pm

Personally, I'm glad I got this set of 3/4 drive tools (I'll never again consider using a 1/2 drive again on a rear axle nut):

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5494

67 Florida Deluxe Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:44 pm

glandnut wrote: Kent- you just need to get some of us to come over and help you tackle some of that stuff with you!

I got the beer :) !