TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type 1 Engine into a Type 3 - How Difficult to do?
HMayer Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:33 pm

So here is the situation. A friend of mine has a '69 Type 1 that he wants to dispose of somehow, but the engine still runs like a champ (its not the original engine - some rebuilt engine that was dropped in at some point but still has lower miles than the original 120,000 on my Type 3). I own a '66 Squareback, the engine of which will probably die fairly soon. I am wondering if it is possible to salvage the engine out of the Type 1 to use in the Type 3. I know that there are issues with the location of the dipstick, the Type 1 engine is 12 volt compared with the 6 volt setup on the Type 3, and carbs. But it is worth trying to convert? Has anyone here tried it before?

Any comments and suggestions would be appretiated.

bbugman74 Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:42 pm

search...don't do it, then search some more :D

Air_Cooled_Nut Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:30 pm

Not difficult, just stupid. Do a search as it's been so over-done that it's charcoal.

Now, a smart move would be to strip the T1 engine down to the block and transfer all the T3 tin and fanhousings to it. Oil can be poured into the T3 oil breather and you can use the T1 dipstick to check the oil, it's just a little more difficult to get to.

It would greatly help us if you filled out your profile and told us EXACTLY what T3 you have since there are several different models and YEARS. And T3's came in 12v and fuel injection with a true automatic. Details, boy, details! :)

Squarely67 Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:18 pm

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote: it's been so over-done that it's charcoal.

Now that's funny. I've not heard that before. Maybe I'm too sheltered.

DMNCLNR Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:43 pm

bbugman74 wrote: search...don't do it, then search some more :D
\ Exactly. its as easy as searching and finding out why not to do it!

sofaking Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:04 pm

I have had in my past: 1963 Notchback upright motor with turbo, no over heating issues. 1965 Notchback upright motor with turbo and NOS, no over heating issues. 1967 Fastback with turbo motor, no over heating issues. Have I been lucky so far? Who knows..... Just my two cents

Air_Cooled_Nut Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:26 am

For starters, most people find the upright in the T3 ugly. Me being one. Talk about no challenge to keep it all under the decklid. Not all people, just the majority. It takes up usable space in the luggage/cargo area, too. Also, the upright is not the engine one wants to put in a SQUAREBACK. I've drag raced my baby with the decklid off...talk about HOT and NOISY!

Without additional information it can be assumed that your uprights have been sealed up. Also, they are far from stock :wink: I'm willing to bet you're not using the stock oil cooling system.

sofaking Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:13 pm

Nope just a dog house. And also I thought that he had a fastback not a squareback. Then I would say to keep it type 3!

SquareTone Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:01 am

Umm, yeah. Just think about that a minute. If you put an upright in your Square then you've got the engine inside the car with you. LOTS of reasons why that's not a good idea. :?
It's just too easy to turn the upright into a pancake. Tedious, but not hard.