TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cool: New Airless Tires for Aircooled Rides? Page: 1, 2  Next
vwrides.com Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:46 pm

The Tweel offers a number of benefits beyond being impervious to nails in the road. The tread will last two to three times as long as current radial tires, Michelin says, and when it does wear thin, it can be retreaded. The tire maker has high expectations for the Tweel. The concept of a single-piece tire and wheel assembly is one that the company expects to spread to passenger cars and construction equipment and aircraft.

See more photos here:
http://www.fastcoolcars.com/airless-tires.htm

Stan Monterrosa Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:50 pm

Crazy! :shock:

Gary Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:55 pm

Did you click on the diagram of the Tweel?

Quote: The Tweel offers a number of benefits beyond being impervious to nails in the road. The tread will last two to three times as long as current radial tires, Michelin says, and when it does wear thin, it can be retreaded. The tire maker has high expectations for the Tweel. The concept of a single-piece tire and wheel assembly is one that the company expects to spread to passenger cars and construction equipment and aircraft. The Tweel is in its infancy - "version 1.0," Thompson said, and only one set of car Tweels exists. A test drive in a Tweel-equipped Audi A4 sedan on roads around Michelin's research center proved to be far less exotic than the construction method or appearance would suggest. The prototype Tweels are noisy, as Thompson warned they would be, because the spokes vibrate.

I wouldn't get too excited over these.

millerje78 Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:07 pm

those would be great for heavy equipment.

sweet66 Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:15 pm

those are some funny lookin tires!!!

renderit Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:28 pm

Tuner deluxe. Ugh!

glutamodo Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:06 pm

Sorry they look too "rice" for my tastes....

56_in_714 Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:44 pm

I would imagine that would be a bumpy ass ride... :x

G-wood Todd Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:49 pm

No thanks. Looks like a modern wagon wheel.

spkncarl Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:57 pm

I don't know, that makes me nervous... :?

and the look...sucks. :wink:

1965Type1 Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:05 pm

I could see it being used as a spare, but not everyday use.

Herby Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:09 pm

vwrides.com wrote:

For anyone who watches old WWII documentaries, don't these wheels look like the steel ones used in Germany before WWII started because rubber wasn't affordable? :shock:

beer30 Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:54 pm

Ive seen pics of bulldozers using those kind of tires.All beefed up of course

renderit Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:20 am

PUT SPINNERS ON IT!

vwrides.com Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:23 am

The spare tire idea is fantastic!

I fear this could be the new tire craze if tweaked out because you know if spinning wheels will sell.. this will also.

sweet66 Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:27 am

i agree on the spare tire idea! back when i was in high school i was picking up a friend on the way and we got a flat so we put the spare on and started driving then the spare went flat :shock:

DaveM Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:49 am

I like the concept. I would think they could apply some engineering and mathematics to the spoke shape and make them less noisey if indeed the noise comes from them vibrating. And I'm sure you could put some form of thin side wall on it so it would look like a normal tire.

Everpress Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:45 am

I read aboout these a couple of weeks ago; they don't even know if they'll go into production, and they haven't done extensive enough tests for safety standards (slalom, etc.)...
I'd rather put a foam rubber tire on my car.

79SuperVert Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:05 am

So when that wheel falls into one of our giant NJ potholes at 50mph, instead of the tire going flat (and costing you maybe $100 bucks for a new tire) you can throw the wheel away and spend $250 on a new wheel.

Matt K. Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:31 am

[quote="vwrides.com"]

I am fasinated by the concept of it ,i mean no more flats, checking air pressure, bent wheels from low-pro tires but, i would like to take a ride on them and see how they actually handle.......oh and of course the cost :shock: