TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Easy Carpet Question
jcpatrickharrison Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:56 pm

Hey,

I have a '65 bug. I got it with rubber floor mats and carpet around the edges and on the front, by the firewall.

I keep seeing all these carpet kits that go everywhere, thereby replacing the rubber mats with carpet. My question is what is stock?

Did a stock 65 have carpet everywhere, or were the rubber mats the original deal and carpet was an aftermarket thing?

Thanks!

J

my61rag Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:35 pm

stock intereior had a black mat (I believe it was tar) that was stuck to the floor. On top of that went the carpet. Yes the carpet went up the front firewall like you were talking. You can buy carpet kits that are fairly easy to install. Hope this helps.

-Shaun

red66bug Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:59 pm

Try TMI. All you need is some spray adhesive and some time. I would add some extra sound deadener while you have all the seats out though, IMHO.

KantDriveFast Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:16 pm

Your '65 only had carpet on the door sills, kick panels, on the front firewall, and behind the rear seat. The floor had tar boards with rubber mats. Factory carpet on the floors didn't come along till the early 70's. www.Wolfsburgwest.com has pretty good photos of the correct setup.

jcpatrickharrison Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:38 am

Ah ha. That's what I thought. I like the idea of rubber mats on the floors and carpet along the sides where you can't step on it with wet feet. I have already laid down Fatmat, new tar mats and new rubber floor mats... all I need is the minimal carpet kit then.

Thanks!

J

oc63rag Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:56 am

Regarding the adhesive, stay away from sprays. They suck and will not hold the carpet. Buy the really noxious brush on adhesive with all the warnings about fumes, contact with your skin, etc. You brush these on and let them set up for about five minutes and then apply the carpet to the floors/walls. Once it's in place it will stay.

67 Florida Deluxe Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:12 pm

Stock mat color for '65 is anthracite.