TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Few questions...
xathor Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:02 am

Ok, I just bought a 64 beetle the other day and ive gone through the entire car to make sure evveerrryyything works. One question, it seems odd to me but the wiring diagram I have shows that a wire is supposed to go from the negative side of the coil to the choke. True? It seems odd to me, but maybe thats how it is.. I dont know. Another question, I want to get a quiet exhaust system but I dont have heaterboxes or anything. A lot of the websites ive gone to with parts have all kinds of different stuff, but not many pictures. I was wanting like a normal header exhaust with a muffler, anyone point me in the right direction? Also, what is the normal idle? It seems to idle at like 1500rpm, which seems awful high to me.

Anyways, been enjoying driving it more than my 98 2.0 turbo jetta ;)

glutamodo Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:15 am

The only "negative" wire on the coil, terminal "1" goes over to the condenser.(and to a tachometer if one is ever added to the car) The positive wire, "15" is the power supply that is also shared with the choke (and idle cutoff valve for carbs that have them)

You'll need to tell us a little more about what engine you have - is it a 40HP or a later larger motor, sounds like you do if it has "J-tubes" on there instead of heater boxes. Engine number and perhaps a picture or two would be helpful.

Idle speed - 850-950 RPM is the normal range. What model carburator is on there?

-Andy

Glenn Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:22 am

Typical setup.