TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Damn New Wheel Bearings
67shagster Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:19 pm

I ordered some new wheel bearings for my '67. The new front outers fit perfectly, but the inners are not even close. I double checked the order/part #'s from BUGHAUS and I ordered/recieved the correct ones. But they dont even come close. Holding them to the old inners, the diameter is waaaay off.

Did someone transplant some other spindle? What front spindle would have a bigger diameter inner bearing?

shaggy

67 Florida Deluxe Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:43 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but I figured this is related. The bearings on my '65 say F A G on them. I know I may need to replace them some day, so are these still available? (I know they are the original types). Or is there a brand that is comparable and if so, what are they and where can I get them?

-Kent

John M. Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:50 pm

Wolfsburg West still sells German Wheel Beaings (FAG).

EDIT: FAG Wheel Bearings...

F A G Wheel Bearings. :roll:

67shagster Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:44 am

Bughaus sells the FAG bearings. They are the ones that I just bought. And they are made in Korea.

Now, hopefully someone will chime in about the inner bearings not fitting. The old front inners are Timken and some other one stamped "made in Germany".

shagster

glutamodo Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:04 am

Yeah VW changed the spindle size during the 1968 year. If someone put later spindles on your car, or changed the axle beam out with a later one, the bearings can be off in size. The wheel seal is also different. (Also different is the diameter for the hole that the tie rod ends fit into.) My 66-frame baja bug, it's got early on one side and late on the other! If you ordered the ones that fit your early style bug, and they don't fit, you'll obviously need to get the later ones instead.

As for the hijack about the earlier wheel bearings - I ordered some roller bearings to have around for to put on my 62 next time I was needing them, I already had some F.A.G. inners, but needed outers, so I ordered them from Wollfsburg West. Well despite what their website said, they weren't an OEM brand or from Germany - they were NSK Japanese --pic of both my old stock F.A.G. inner and NSK outer I got from WW:
-Andy

W1K1 Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:49 pm

While NSK/RHP is not a bad bearing company, if you want high quality Timken is the best tapered roller on the market. SKF, f.a.g/INA.(now Schaeffler bearings)and Timken/Torrington would be high quality ball bearings.
You should be able to buy all the bearings from your local bearing/power transmission suppliers. Just make sure to tell them your brand preference.
Guess what business I am in :D

67shagster Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:15 pm

Thanks Glutamodo for your info. I was beginning to think just what you sugggested....that maybe the whole front beam was from a different year. Time to return some wheel bearings....

shagster

Wingnut66 Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:43 am

Do I understand you have drop spindles on your bug? I installed drops with discs on my 66 and had to order inner bearings for a 68. Seems to be the case with a lot of front end parts when converting earlier model front ends to drop, narrowed or disc. I do believe www.CIP1.com talks about this in their on line catalog in the brake area. Might want to check it out

67shagster Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:05 am

I don't have drop spindles on my baja. Someone just swapped the whole beam or the spindles themselves. I've gotta get some different bearings and seals.

shagster

John M. Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:02 pm

glutamodo wrote: I already had some F.A.G. inners, but needed outers, so I ordered them from Wollfsburg West. Well despite what their website said, they weren't an OEM brand or from Germany - they were NSK Japanese --pic of both my old stock F.A.G. inner and NSK outer I got from WW:
-Andy

FWIW...

I got my brake parts order today from WW. The Outer Roller bearings were SKF / Made in Germany...