TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1963 Notch I've been working on Page: 1, 2  Next
squareonair Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:29 pm

FASTBACKDON Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:36 pm

looks like a good start the cancer around the headlights looks pretty bad though

squareonair Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:57 pm

FASTBACKDON wrote: looks like a good start the cancer around the headlights looks pretty bad though

outside of this car looks alot better than what the insides did

FASTBACKDON Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:04 pm

damn dude nice repair progress

squareonair Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:18 pm

FASTBACKDON wrote: damn dude nice repair progress

thanks im working on driving by june hoping before

Tram Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:23 pm

squareonair wrote: FASTBACKDON wrote: damn dude nice repair progress

There's a far easier way to get all those repairs done with less effort. Do you know what it is?

notchback Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:35 pm

Tram wrote: squareonair wrote: FASTBACKDON wrote: damn dude nice repair progress

There's a far easier way to get all those repairs done with less effort. Do you know what it is? Pan swap! (or a crusher and a different car)

60DoubleTurd Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:36 pm

Yeah but finding an earlier pan in better condition......good luck. I guess you could use a late model pan and have heater controls lookin all gay. Not to mention the different rear heater holes in the rear kick panel and a few other things I probably cant think of right now. I have seen people start with worse. Good job man. Keep up the efforts and the progress pics. Did you DA the body or chemical strip it??

Tram Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:45 pm

No. No, you're all wrong.

squareonair Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:25 am

62type3square wrote: Yeah but finding an earlier pan in better condition......good luck. I guess you could use a late model pan and have heater controls lookin all gay. Not to mention the different rear heater holes in the rear kick panel and a few other things I probably cant think of right now. I have seen people start with worse. Good job man. Keep up the efforts and the progress pics. Did you DA the body or chemical strip it??

thanks and i striped it then i da'ed it.....i believe in keeping the og pan....just cut and weld....cant find any front fenders around here thats any good so i guess ill see what i can do with the head light buckets

notchback Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:14 am

Tram wrote: No. No, you're all wrong. Please enlighten us, oh Great One.

Gary Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:59 am

It's his car, his time, and his money. People who blab about hauling stuff like that to the crusher, IMHO, just don't appreciate a good challenge. Over in Europe, that car would be considered as having 'light rust'.

The work and effort put into it is outstanding. If you can have it running by June, them more power to you!

AllAmericanDan Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:07 am

Aye a braver man than I. Looks like the Ghia I had and got rid of....Looks like you are doing a fine job at getting her going.

55OvalCharlie Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:14 am

Icy wrote: Over in Europe, that car would be considered as having 'light rust'.

The work and effort put into it is outstanding. If you can have it running by June, them more power to you!

Damn right - we laugh in the face of rust over here - bring it on!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

eurodynamix Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:17 am

Icy wrote: It's his car, his time, and his money. People who blab about hauling stuff like that to the crusher, IMHO, just don't appreciate a good challenge. Over in Europe, that car would be considered as having 'light rust'.

Well said!! Not everyone can start with a near perfect car, and if they do, than they can't imagine the sense of accomplishment that the 'rags to riches' journey gives.

Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck
Isn't that what vdubbin' is all about? My car came from a junkyard, it’s got a dent (or SEVERAL) in every panel, but its cool, and driving it, working on it, even just looking at it gives me a euphoric feeling like nothing else does.

Some people 'work' on their cars with money; some with sweat and grinders. IMHO, those who have built rather than bought have much higher esteem.

squareonair- My most sincere THANK YOU for saving that car from the crusher. I'm in your corner, it's people like you that keep our hobby from disappearing. (Unlike people that are quick to pass judgment and send things to the crusher) Thankfully someone saw potential in my car and hid it from the crusher for 16 years, and now it is practically a member of the family.

Air_Cooled_Nut Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:52 am

squareonair wrote: ...i believe in keeping the og pan....just cut and weld...
Seeing the before pictures all I can say is, "Uh, what pan?"

Tram Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:23 am

notchback wrote: Tram wrote: No. No, you're all wrong. Please enlighten us, oh Great One.

You could solve all that by selling it to me!!! :lol:

notchboy Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:31 am

Dont you have enough on your plate with the ghia?

wakywaco Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:32 am

Man, Id take all that stuff back out and go get another donor car, drill thru all the spot welds and fix that better. I praise ya for fixing it, but its only gonna come back, and come back worse if not done right. Its realy not that hard to seperate the lower half of a rust free car, and weld it back into that one. My first notch looked just like that, and after 15 thousand spot welds, (or so it seemed) the whole lower half came out, and was rewelded back into the rusty notch. I look at it as, If VW did it once, I could do it again. :wink: Either way, dont give up 8)

Tram Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:41 am

notchboy wrote: Dont you have enough on your plate with the ghia?

I've also got a '71 Westy and Notchback's Notchback in da woiks, as well as a Benz 280SEL 4.5. My plate is pretty big.
Now if I could get customers to quit hauling shit in here and waving money under my schnozz, I just might get something done. :roll:
Seriously, I've got April, May and June scheduled soley for the Ghia and the Westy, just a little eBay to pay the bills. Let's hope it works because the Invasion is getting closer every day. :lol: