TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: struggling with lowering rear
sled Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:29 pm

im gettin so pissed, i cant figure out how to make the axle and ebrake cable clear so the spring plate can swing down and off its tension. i loosened the e brake cables but that didnt change anything because the sleeve is rigid and doesnt get any more pliable. do i have to take the backing plate off so the ebrake cable can fall out of the way?

this sure isnt as easy as everyone says...or maybe im a dunce.

bonzai272 Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:41 pm

I didnt loosen or undo the parking brake at all and it was fine. Ive heard of having to loosen it to give you the slack but I didnt need to. I just made sure it wasnt set when I did the job. then I used a tie-down to pull back and hold the axle out of the way and towards the rear of the car. Hope this helps.

Major Woody Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:02 pm

You did disconnect the axle end casting from the spring plate, right? Just asking

bonzai272 Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:06 pm

Major Woody wrote: You did disconnect the axle end casting from the spring plate, right? Just asking

Oh man :roll: :lol:

Chad1376 Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:43 pm

Did you remove the shock? I always have to take the shock off and rotate the end casting abut 45 deg. to get the spring plate to clear.

dragstart Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:11 pm

I did mine--it WAS easy.

Transaxle's out.

New urethane bushings in and out, one spline drop on the outer, that's about 2 1/2'', I hope.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

Hella-Buggin' Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:30 pm

I just did mine and here is a few things I had to do...
Did you unthread the ebrake cables or just release the brake handle...
Also, there is a 10mm bolt the fastens a clip on the back of the drum. Undo that and you'll get an extra inch or so...