TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: wrx powered notchback Page: 1, 2  Next
vwrx Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:46 pm

Hi, I am currantly modifying my notch to wrx power and am almost done with all the mechanicals. I have started it already and to my suprise it does'nt sound a whole lot different than a flat 4 aircooled. I switched to suby power from a 2332 hoping for more reliability and more power. I am using the stock turbo and factory engine managment plus a cobb tuning downloader to obtain about 285 hp and 285 torque. I will soon find out if that type II limited slip trans can handle that or not. I look forward to this years bugout but I dont think I am going to make the first one this summer, do to the fact it was just painted and I have to
assemble the whole rest of the car.

smitty Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:49 pm

pics please.

fifty-five Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:49 pm

Quit BS'in here on the samba and go put your car together. :wink:

It sounds like it will be fun when you get 'r done. Post up some pics.

vwrx Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:53 pm

I'm trying but you know how waiting for parts can be.

fifty-five Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:56 pm

Just ribbin' ya bro.

yona_usti Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:59 am

I've had that thought in my head for a couple of months now...any chance of doing a tech article on the swap? what type of adaptor did you use to go from sub to vw?

thanks,
Don W.

Crippler Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:20 pm

sounds intense.

pictures. anything. quick!

good luck.

Russ Wolfe Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:34 pm

yona_usti wrote: I've had that thought in my head for a couple of months now...any chance of doing a tech article on the swap? what type of adaptor did you use to go from sub to vw?

thanks,
Don W.
Kennedy Engineering makes an adapter.

70fasty Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:14 pm

yona_usti wrote: I've had that thought in my head for a couple of months now...any chance of doing a tech article on the swap? what type of adaptor did you use to go from sub to vw?

thanks,
Don W.

www.subynotch.com
thats 73notch's website it has some good information on his swap, he hasn't updated in a while though

vwrx Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:02 pm

[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=265566[/img]

vwrx Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:08 pm

For some reason I cant get the pictures on the forum but they are in the gallery under type III notchback

Jeremy Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:27 pm

vwrx wrote:

fixed it for ya

73notch Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:13 am

70fasty wrote: yona_usti wrote: I've had that thought in my head for a couple of months now...any chance of doing a tech article on the swap? what type of adaptor did you use to go from sub to vw?

thanks,
Don W.

www.subynotch.com
thats 73notch's website it has some good information on his swap, he hasn't updated in a while though

haha, i need to update it, ive been working on a new page for it for a while, but im not going to release it until its done.

Jeremy, Lookin good. Im sure your bus tranny can take it as im still using the stock tranny :shock: and its still in one piece, but its coming out this summer for something different :lol: .

1.What is that intercooler off of, or is it an aftermarket one/custom?

2. Are those 16" or 17" wheels?

Thanks,
-Ryan

vwrx Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:24 am

The intercooler is off of a mitsubishi evo VIII. The wheels are 16" front and 17" rear.

Itawayoflife Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:47 am

I just read Subynotch's website and I gotta say, wow! If ever there was an engine to swap, that would be the one. The WRX has been the most impresive (performance wise) small compact car this country has ever seen. Matching it with a type 3 is the ultimate package. :shock:

Subynotch: Put together some total conversion kits like the one you used and sell them online or at swap meets and spread the wealth!

Nice job man!

QUADRADO Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:21 am

that's fuckin good work are you running electronics? ie. boost controller turbo timer SAFC or anything like that? or are you doing it manually through a manual boost controller or the wastegate spring set up?

vwrx Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:28 am

Were those questions directed to me or Subynotch.

sepulvedac Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:23 am

beautiful engine 73notch. On your opinion, how hard would it be to to adapt that engine to a Karmann Ghia?

Same question for you, VWRX.

Thanks for your time.
Carlos

vwrx Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:28 pm

I would say it would be roughly the same. The only difererence being the radator and the amount of space you have up front. It is important to note that the air has to be forced threw the radiator and not around it. The pictures in the gallery show the trunk compartment of my notch allthough it is unclear how much work went in to sealing the incoming air. theThere is allso a cover for the top of the radiator that is not shown in the pictur. It is a lot of work and can get expensive pretty quick all dependeing on how trick you want it to be.

QUADRADO Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:01 pm

yeah those are for subynotch...
Now answer the damn questions! :lol: