TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Weekly Tire Size Post
COFBack Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:04 pm

Searched "Tire Size"
Spent the last Hour skimming the 851 Hits.

1971 Fastback + Mahle 4 Lug Gas Burners (baby gas burners?) + Stock Height (currently, might lower it 1 click front and similar rear but not soon)

Here are my questions

Will 195/65R15 all around fit with no rubbing issues even after I lower it an inch or so?

Would 175/55R15 be better?

Will either cause significant issues with speedometer accuracy?

Thanks
RMS

brent67 Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:44 pm

Here is a useful tool for you. I use the blue field mostly. there are similar calcs on the web

http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html

I don't think either of your tire choices should cause a problem so long as the offset is in the ~40mm range. The 175/55 will def monkey with your speedo tho. The 195 is roght on tho.

Erik G Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:01 pm

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

this one has fancy visuals, which helps me

rloaircool Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:56 pm

COFBack wrote: Searched "Tire Size"
Spent the last Hour skimming the 851 Hits.

1971 Fastback + Mahle 4 Lug Gas Burners (baby gas burners?) + Stock Height (currently, might lower it 1 click front and similar rear but not soon)

Here are my questions

Will 195/65R15 all around fit with no rubbing issues even after I lower it an inch or so?

Would 175/55R15 be better?

Will either cause significant issues with speedometer accuracy?

Thanks
RMS

I had the same wheels on my 66 notchback. I had 175/55 in the front, 195/50 in the rear. I would reccomend 195/60s in the rear though or even 205s. The 50 series in the back sucked on the freeway. I had 195/60s in the front for a little while, when it was lowered 2 clicks, but I lowered it more so had to get different tires.

COFBack Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:19 am

Thanks all

vwlow -- concerning the notch pics in your gallery, how many clicks down was it in those pics?

Also, I don't have any caps or lugbolts. Did you have porche caps for those or some other kind.

Thanks
RMS

EDIT: BTW, thanks to all for not smacking me down with "IT's ALL IN THE STICKY" or words to that effect.

rloaircool Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:39 pm

COFBack wrote: Thanks all

vwlow -- concerning the notch pics in your gallery, how many clicks down was it in those pics?

Also, I don't have any caps or lugbolts. Did you have porche caps for those or some other kind.

Thanks
RMS

EDIT: BTW, thanks to all for not smacking me down with "IT's ALL IN THE STICKY" or words to that effect.

If I remember, it was 5 in the front, 2 outers in the rear at that time.

I used billet caps from ISP west. They are pretty nice. I special ordered the lugs through a local tire shop.

COFBack Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:40 pm

low-- Thanks.

RMS