TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Today in Bus hunting history... Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 987, 988, 989  Next
dieselnut Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:25 pm

Moderator Note:
This thread is for Split Buses ONLY.
No craigslist ad posting please.
Anything else can expect to be deleted.

Procured one green/green 1957 standard bus that served proudly as an "ICE" logo'd bus at one point. It was white over blue during that time, but 20 plus years of sitting in a sun-drenched environment have pretty much taken care of the blue and white, leaving some tasty looking green/green behind in it's place (along w/ the remnants of it's logos).

Rockers are rusty, most of the doors (all of which are present) have hinge issues. The roof, which has a (now non-readable) billboard on it, is dented badly. The thing is full of parts, which is cool, a few of which are quite tasty. :D

It had "Mac's ICE Wagon" on the sides, and the tin panels were logo'd as well (ugh!).... Evidently it was an ICE trailer, as opposed to an ICE bus... Maybe it served time behind the other ICE bus, who knows?!??!

If someone wants to save an old logo'd bus, pm me. Points given to rust belters. On the other hand, that nose would look really good on the green/green westy that came out of AZ, and I'm sure some of the other parts would serve proudly on other green/green buses...

rusty57 Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:42 pm

I take it you aren't gonna snatch it up as a project? Kind of cool for you to pass it on if that's the case. We need to save and put as many buses back on the road as possible. The tow bar is a pretty cool find. What else was inside, besides what appears to be the rare factory nails steering wheel?

dieselnut Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:50 pm

If it weren't for the logos, that thing would be total sawzall bait. I'm fishing for a good reason not to let that be it's reality anyway, I don't know if that's very charitable or not. :-) The other ICE logo'd bus is a sentimental favorite of mine, so I guess I have kind of a soft spot for this one.

Votes to cut it up are leading 3 to nothing right now however. :lol:

There were a couple of front beams inside, an engine, several wheels, several NOS parts in boxes, and lots of junk (shingles, paneling, old welding pins, etc.)

KombiMonster Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:03 pm

was the drivers door removed and placed aside or did it fall off?.....it appears the only thing missing body wise is the rear bumper, tail lights and decklid....I'd vote for saving it....but...I'm not in a position of purchasing it either....

Lind Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:06 pm

dieselnut wrote: Votes to cut it up are leading 3 to nothing right now however. :lol:
nothing that I need has to be cut off. not that I really need anything.

I will volunteer to put it back on the road if it comes with the petri wheel. LOL.

blanston Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:44 am

That one looks better than the bus I'm working on right now, (a rot box passed down in the family.) It would be a shame to cut it up.

dieselnut Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:25 am

I wasn't counting anyone in this thread, well, other than me, in the cut it up category. :-)

The bus is going to be saved, I made someone a deal they couldn't refuse! Looks like this nice green/green bus w/ really thick paint is going to stay w/ one of the forum folks in the southwest, too cool.

Touch Nicks Thing Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:38 am

Glad to see it is being saved!

Mango Juice Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:35 am

Looks savable to me...reminds me of this tow yard outside of Arizona that had a green and green sitting just like this one....it was right off the main highway....cool find :P

dieselnut Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:10 pm

Ok, this one is called the golden turd. Missing mcode and engine VIN code plates, but it was priced accordingly.

Roof, doglegs and wheels are spoken for. Lots of pics here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ovalwindow/album?.dir=/ea7c

PM me w/ your needs and I'll see what I can do.

Here was the cool find inside the ICE bus:

dieselnut Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:18 pm

Ok, it looks like the following is spoken for on the golden turd:

Roof
Doglegs
Wheels
Rear wheel wells
Front bumper
Bumper steps
Rear splash pans
Cab doors - both
Cargo doors - both
Rear hatch
Driver's side rocker
Metal under front seats
Metal behind rear cargo door
Tail light holes
Engine lid arm

Anyone need anything else?

The bulkhead is good, there are certainly patch panels to be had from the cargo floor and perhaps the cab floor as well. Running gear is still available, as is a bent but non-rusty engine lid.

I'm going to post pics of a couple of late models splits that are rotting away in junkyards, can visit them w/ the sawzall soon as well. Stay tuned.

dieselnut Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:55 pm

An interesting site from today's journeys:

VWAdam Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:06 pm

That mango Bus looks very interesting..........

Braukuche Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:10 pm

dieselnut wrote:
Anyone need anything else?.

I'm looking for the bulkhead behind the passenger seat for a walkthru. I have two walkthrus now where some meathead cut the side of the bulkhead out to fit in a wider seat.
--Dan

dieselnut Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:18 pm

Braukuche wrote: dieselnut wrote:
Anyone need anything else?.

I'm looking for the bulkhead behind the passenger seat for a walkthru. I have two walkthrus now where some meathead cut the side of the bulkhead out to fit in a wider seat.
--Dan

What year?

dieselnut Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:19 pm

VWAdam wrote: That mango Bus looks very interesting..........

I about shit when I saw the middle seat... :!:

Lind Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:29 pm

dieselnut wrote: VWAdam wrote: That mango Bus looks very interesting.......... I about shit when I saw the middle seat... :!:
so did you buy it?

dieselnut Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:40 pm

Lind wrote: dieselnut wrote: VWAdam wrote: That mango Bus looks very interesting.......... I about shit when I saw the middle seat... :!:
so did you buy it?

I stopped at the farm, was told by a really nice lady living in the farmhouse that it was the landlord's. Found the landlord, who also turned out to be really nice, and she said it was a different tenants, and that it had almost been consumed in a shop fire a while back. Uh-oh I think, two nice ones in a row... Found the tenant a bit later, after finding out he was recently under/unemployed, but he gave the old "I'm going to restore that some day..." lol... Then he proceeded to tell me how rare the doubledoor panel was... :idea:

To be continued!

dieselnut Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:53 pm

Here's a couple from a few days ago, the humble remains of what's left of the once proud yard in Zearing, IA. There's maybe a half dozen splits left in the bunch...

The place has been for sale for at least 8 years, he started out asking a quarter million and is down to around 100K now. Word on the street in the town is there will finally be an auction this spring/summer. Place is for sale on ePay...

Mikee Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:07 pm

that blue and white bug looks like a buddies old drag bug