TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Today in Bus hunting history... Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 752, 753, 754 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Adam Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:05 am

catalinathunder wrote: Might be a re-post. What I found on a 3 day motorcycle trip.

Did you inquire about it? Too bad someone stole the roof, but its still kinda cool just the way it is :-k

catalinathunder Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:11 am

No, I didn't inquire about it, trying to respect their privacy given the location of the home. Inside the barn was a beautiful 21 window and a stack of crows feet just on they other side of the cut-up bus.

cru62 Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:53 am

catalinathunder wrote: No, I didn't inquire about it, trying to respect their privacy given the location of the home. Inside the barn was a beautiful 21 window and a stack of crows feet just on they other side of the cut-up bus.

Don't take this the wrong way, but that is pretty funny. You didn't want to knock on the door of the house so you just snuck around the barn and peeked in the windows?

catalinathunder Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:00 am

Nope, everything was visible from the street.

cru62 Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:07 am

Fair enough. But, why didn't you want to knock on the door? I don't think I could have resisted. Of course, I'll talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime about VWs.

EverettB Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:53 am

Yes, it's been posted a few times over the years but always nice to see a new photo of it and know it's still there.

SkooobaSteve Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:24 am

Im sure someone stole the roof off it... It does make for one really cool picture though.

K.Foust Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:44 am

Cool bus, I remember it being posted here before I think, here's a pic...

I remember the creepy teeth...

Glad to see it get a new life!

- Kris

'64cal lookdub wrote: I've been watching this one for about 8yrs and was able to buy it this week. It's my first bus and I'm the 3rd owner. It's a '61 SWR panel, it has a pretty nice camper conversion and it's SUPER dry, the floors are perfect. It used to be a pharmacy deliver bus and the 2nd owners had it converted. It has some faint logos on the drivers side.

Z Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:15 am

'64cal lookdub wrote: Z wrote: That should make a nice camper...got any interior pics?

It still needs a lot of cleaning, but here are some pics after a half ass cleaning.

This bus needs its own thread...its really cool. Have you seen Sled's wood refinishing work in this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584574&highlight=692a

Where are you in Texas?

aa390392 Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:24 am

Nice smile....made me smile.. :lol: I cool bus...I like a lot
Thomas

'64cal lookdub Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks, I'm pretty happy to be able to save it. Yeah, I posted pictures of it in this thread back in '06 when I was 16. I wish I could of snagged it then, the paint was a lot nicer at the time but I think it will still come back pretty decent.

Thanks for the link to Sled's thread, it will come in handy for sure! I will start a thread in the main forum, that's a good idea. I've started to really clean up the inside and so far so good.

Stocknazi Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:11 pm

Very cool you stuck with it and were able to buy the bus almost 10 years later.
Next time, don't post pics until it's in your driveway :wink:

That paint looks nice

BulliBill Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:35 am

'64cal lookdub wrote: Z wrote: That should make a nice camper...got any interior pics?

It still needs a lot of cleaning, but here are some pics after a half ass cleaning.

Awesome period find, and while I prefer Westfalia interiors, I love that unique home-built camper interior. Carefully clean that up, and keep it as it is with fresh padding and rear upholstery. Order up a Matt Miller front bench seat upholstery set and you'll be golden! I can envision that all buffed out and those side camper windows polished up too! It's gonna be great!

That bias-ply spare tire is a time capsule! Beautiful bottom side!

Bill

ChrisFred Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:16 am

crukab wrote: ChrisFred wrote: YOUBUGME2 wrote: rockymountainaircooled wrote: Malokin Martin wrote: ChrisFred wrote: Gosh, why can't I be this lucky to find even an old body... The only busses I see are bay/vanagon and are currently owned by someone...

Start gifting your local UPS/FEDEX drivers something during the holidays (Scotch seems to work well). Those guys have the hook-up, as they're driving backroads all day long.

^^^^This. Those guys know where all the buses are :)

I know a few postal guys and ups guys. So far I havn't been turned onto any buses just some super beetles

Wow never thought of that!!!

And: Oil /Gas/Propane Delivery guys, Loggers/ Foresters/ Freight Train guys/Farm Repair Guys/ Vets (large animal)/ Surveyers, Dirt Bike/ATV/ Off Road guys, and the one I'm working on now--Pilots... :wink:

Dammmmm, 750 pages and I'm letting out this info........ #-o

Pilots?! Shouldn't they keep their eyes in the sky.? :lol:

But then again, he's taking all the risk!

rcowan Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:20 pm

http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-news/couple-declares-vw-bus-is-not-for-sale/27181740
Anyone want to admit to visiting them? :D

LAGrunthaner Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:03 am

21's are over rated. They should have taken the 47k, IMO.

rcowan wrote: http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-news/couple-declares-vw-bus-is-not-for-sale/27181740

Braukuche Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:17 am

LAGrunthaner wrote: 21's are over rated. They should have taken the 47k, IMO.

rcowan wrote: http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-news/couple-declares-vw-bus-is-not-for-sale/27181740

Some 21s are going for six figures properly restored, so yeah, "overrated." Anyway, $47k would be good money for that one considering it needs restoration.

motofly196 Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:25 pm

I know this guy... just shows you what small town news can cover, huh? My co-workers saw him broken down last year scratching his head on the side of the road...I would of helped, but I was already at work. That must of been when it died. When I've tried talking to him before when he came through my town, he wasn't the nicest guy to talk with. Even after he saw my bus parked at work...
I'm assuming the news coverage is a plot to get BIG BUCKS with free advertising. Why else would you bring this to a news station?

chris henry Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:16 pm

I don't think they will get more then 47k for it. if they wanted to sell it that would have been the time. having owned several 21's I would have to agree that they are overrated. More of a main stream bus. Give me a nice OG paint palm green sand green anyday

Long-roofs Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:17 pm

Anyone here get the '65 SWR Std. off Mpls. Craigslist, the one with Square Corner Camping Box?