TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Today in Bus hunting history... Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 777, 778, 779 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Pinetops Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:55 pm

Can't wait to see this thing!

hitest Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:06 pm

Sh*tBird wrote: Teaser photo.

Thanks for the teaser. After hacking in to your phone for the others, let me be the first to congratulate you on your blue '57 kombi! 8)

Ran When Parked Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:23 pm

Roughly, two years ago got in my car and started driving around one of the ‘zones’ I had mapped out for Bus hunting. The mission is to drive each road and try to stay in my lane while peaking in folk’s front, back, and side yards. On this particular day, right when I started doubting the efficiency of this manual hunting technique and wondered about my sanity, I caught a glimpse of a Bus off in the distance. No way, I said.

At thirty miles per hour, I could not be sure it was a Bus. A single horse trailer looks very similar at long distances and that speed. I turned around at the next safe place and headed back. It was a bus; I call it “The Private Drive Bus”. I remember thinking how interesting it was that I doubted my sanity and found one simultaneously.

The bus was parked in a field and over grown with grass and vines. There was not a house on that piece of land. A sign was posted that stated, “Private Drive, No Trespassing”. I started knocking on the doors of houses close by. No one answered the knocks.

I worked the houses across the street from the field. At one house, I had to step over a gate on the porch to get to the door. The gate was keeping in a few little ankle biters (dogs). I hoped they were all bark and no bite. At this point, I had to remind myself of my bus hunting philosophy, “This is America – I can knock on your door”. Not sure of the legality of that statement. The drive to get a bus was more important than the chance of pissing off a homeowner. That was the decision I came to when being driven to succeed in bringing home a bus. I am polite, well dressed, and … let us just say, “Prepared for anything”.

A very old woman answered the door and as luck would have it, she was happy to see me. We talked for over an hour. I found out the name of the owner and that he lived up the ‘private drive’ in a house further back on the property. She also told me that I did not want that bus because it had been sitting in the same spot when she moved in, if memory serves me correctly, twenty years earlier.

After mulling it over, I pass on the ‘mail a letter’ idea and head up the private drive.

Contact. The owner and I go look at the bus. I ask if he would be willing to sell it. He says, “Why don’t you go buy one from Jim Connell (http://www.jimsaircooled.com/). I tell him that Jim is out of split window buses and when he is not - he is too rich for my blood. Neither one of us is willing to throw out a number but I was thinking $2000.00 at the time. After dancing for a while, he states that he is using it for storage and is not willing to sell. I leave my number with him and go.

Over the next two years, I would stop by and he seemed to be angry. He never threw out a number and neither did I. I attempted to ‘help him with his storage problem’ and he stated, “I don’t have a problem, you have a problem.” He would not allow me to have Lowes or Home Depot put up a storage unit + cash for a trade. The last time we spoke, six month ago, he took my number again and said if he were to sell, he would sell to me.

I find another bus, “The Bamboo Bus”, a 1959 walk through double door panel van and close the deal (after roughly one and half years) – same storage unit situation as the “Private Drive” bus.

While hauling the Bamboo Bus, I stop for gas and a man in a wrecker (tow truck) asks me about my plans for the bus. I told him I plan to fix it up. I gave my regular pitch about finder’s fees and I gave him my ‘business card’, which is the Central Alabama VW Club card with my name and phone number written on it.

Two nights ago, the ‘Wrecker Guy’ calls and says he found a bus. I ask for the details.

He says something along the lines of, “a man passed away and his widow wants to sell a 60’s bus but they are holding it for a young man that has been asking for it. If I were to go down there soon, I might get it”.
In the process of getting the contact information, I get the deceased’s last name and realize that most likely, I am the young man. I do not even need a location for the bus. I tell the Wrecker Guy I will pay the finder’s fee if I buy the bus.

What is funny about this situation is that I already found the bus – but to be fair I am going to pay out – and it is good business. Dreaming here, but I bet that Chestnut Brown over Sealing Wax Red 23 window is not going to find me. I have to find it via word of mouth.

I had almost given up on the owner. I say that because the past few weeks I have been dragging my feet on going back down there and working with him.

I set a meeting with the wife for early the next morning. I meet the wife and she says that her husband died (around Christmas – unexpectedly) with my number in his wallet. She said she was going to call but has had other issues to deal with. I understood.

I bought the bus. I still have to call the Wrecker Guy and pay him a finder’s fee.

I left out many comments on the tried and true Bus Hunting tips that are scatted throughout posts on “The Samba”. A few of the techniques are used by me in this story. Also left out are thoughts on one person’s loss and another’s gain.

I enjoy the whole ‘drama’ of hunting VW’s and extracting them. It is an “enjoy the journey” thing for me, which is good because my destination has been rust, rust, and more rust.

I cannot wait to pressure wash the hell out of this bus and then start buying parts. That is the degree of my skills at this point in the Resto Game.

Hansolo99 Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:38 pm

COOL story! Thanks for sharing it!!!

BlastMasterMannyFresh Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:55 pm

So what year was it? 60?

cdennisg Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:03 pm

mannys66 wrote: So what year was it? 60?

I see a pressed front bumper, and he mentioned a tube style tranny hanger. Must be 55-56-ish.

BlastMasterMannyFresh Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:51 pm

cdennisg wrote: mannys66 wrote: So what year was it? 60?

I see a pressed front bumper, and he mentioned a tube style tranny hanger. Must be 55-56-ish.
I know but he mentioned a 60 bus in his post here. I'm still with you on the 55-56

Ran When Parked Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:22 pm

The serial number starts at 20 - 147xxx.

I thought that had to be wrong, but it does have the Wolfsburg transmission mount and bullet style blinkers and a pressed bumper.

I didn't think it would be that early but the chassis number here on the site puts it between September and October 1955.

You guys really know your buses. I am still trying to put the changes with the dates. I just learned about Wolfsburg transmission mounts a week ago while visiting Samba member "Jerry".

It has six pop out windows with the spoon latches and has a sliding glass window between the cab and cargo area. All the window glass on the sides are the same logo and the fronts are different, delog I think, not sure about the back.

When I came home today it was sitting in the drive way, delivered. I have not been able to climb through it. There is a VW beetle in the cargo area, in parts and there are two engines in there with it. Maybe other stuff under all that. This one will take a while to clean out. I might have to leave the stuff in there cause I am out of room.

Inside image taken tonight.

Pinetops Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:54 pm

Really cool bus S-Bird, I'm looking forward to seeing more of it!

58euro Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:54 pm

Is it a standard? Would be a pretty sick pgsg with 6 popouts

Ran When Parked Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:58 pm

58euro wrote: Is it a standard? Would be a pretty sick pgsg with 6 popouts

I edited my previous post to say it has six popouts with the latches.

Under the serial number plate and in the cab is blue. I am color blind so I can get the colors wrong. Usually, I can get blue but if it has green - forget it...I ask someone.

CaLiBus Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:10 pm

Its a Wolsburge Bus! lots of cool one year only stuff your going to find out very soon! Plus these buses were practically hand built alot like Barndoors before all operations were moved to another plant in 56. For starters look at the the dog legs. They are just like barndoors (double seemed) 8)

Congrats! :D

campingbox Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:41 pm

20-147XXX is October '55 - '56 model year.

If it's a standard or kombi that is very unusual to have a sliding glass cab divider.

58euro Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:42 pm

Sure sounds like a kombi then and with the 6 popouts thats awesome its a pretty cool touch. Like CaliBus said there are tons of differences like the front bumper is different than later pressed bumpers as well and tons of other things that all add together to make it a cool find

Ran When Parked Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:52 pm

campingbox wrote: 20-147XXX is October '55 - '56 model year.

If it's a standard or kombi that is very unusual to have a sliding glass cab divider.

The vin plate says Typ and has VW 2/23 in a box.

CaLiBus Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:08 pm

If those are the orginal bumpers to that bus then its a kombi and not a standard from the faint WHITE ribs painted on the front bumper.

EDIT: oops! never mind. The entire front bumper seems to be all one shade. Standard bus???..

GTV Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:52 pm

Wolfsburg 11 window is COOL. Wolfsburg 11 window with ambulance divider makes it a monster bus. Good find, great persistence. Check to see if it has ambulance fans in the over head fresh air cover as well.

earlywesty Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:37 am

campingbox wrote: 20-147XXX is October '55 - '56 model year.

I had an Oct '55 that started with 147 for years. That bus will have lots of cool wolfsburg production features. Suggest you read the wolfsburg thread. PM sent.

Who.Me? Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:13 am

Sh*tBird wrote: I ended up wenching it (dragging it) using a little wench. Wore out both arms and legs, because when my arms cramped up I flipped around and started a rowing technique. I was so tired. "The muscle car guy" didn't want to stop (since the truck and trailer and time is his) he was on my case like a drill sergeant. I had to stand up and put the bar between my legs on my junk and move back and forth. Looked like I was dry humping the wench.

I'm so glad you're not going to edit that. I laughed and spat lunch on my keyboard.

Reminded me of the Bangkok ladyboy/ Land Rover sketch from the 'Watership Alan' episode of Alan Partridge. It's probably on You Tube - don't bother with the scripts, half the joke depends on a thick regional UK accent. Caution - Big time Parental Advisory though

Ran When Parked Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:52 am

GTV wrote: Wolfsburg 11 window is COOL. Wolfsburg 11 window with ambulance divider makes it a monster bus. Good find, great persistence. Check to see if it has ambulance fans in the over head fresh air cover as well.

I looked in the cab this morning and it does have the switch on the over head fresh air cover. Assuming that is the ambulance fan. I've never seen one other than in the classifieds.

Glad you guys are having a good laugh. I have had plenty on this site...still sore from that winch.