TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Today in Bus hunting history... Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 794, 795, 796 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
bigdish2 Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:31 am

sled wrote: not so much BUS hunting, but I was recently fortunate enough to procure this whole set.

everything is in even better condition than the photos show.

theres more photos in the PG/SG thread.

Damn that's harder to find than a bus! Nice

bigdish2 Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:39 am

dawerks wrote: bigdish2 wrote: Very sweet 15w looks great and offers have probably already came in for it.

Thanks! As I'm sure you know, everyone who posts here probably gets a few 'inquires' :)

I know this was already hunted by dawerks but posting an update on what's happening with it because been back and forth since he posted a pic on here. Thanks samba for the site because never would have gotten it. Off to the keeper stash.

He delivered it to blackstar camp out as he promised and on time. Now find post something else cool! Thanks Bryce talk to you later

bigdish2 Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:22 am

Cool 61 swr/bg so23 subhatch bus picked up within a couple hrs from home. Probably way more of a project than I want, have plenty of those already.

Tahlequah Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:42 am

Nice Bryce, any camper bits stowed away?

hubCapT Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:18 pm

Looks like a lemon, or at least lemon powered.

Rich's 50 Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:37 pm

Dubskii wrote:

I saw this baby in a parking lot today with a "For Sale" sign. VIN # states it's a Kombi Model (walk thru) with the camper tags. Interior is definitely ratty but has camper interior (sink, stove, etc) most likely all original. Need some answers..Is this a hack job or legit camper (never seen one with this type of top)? Appears to be solid (body, mechanically, etc). Don't want to say what the asking price is but was curious what other thought the price should be.

It isn't worth the 25K he is asking... 8)

Red Fau Veh Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:33 am

I love these buses! So much that I am obsessed about them and I own 6 buses right now and I have had more and I have only been into them for a few years. I have 1 split bus and had another before plus all the bays, but I want more. I have a craigslist wanted add running looking for more of them, and I got a call about a 67 westy. I am not a wealthy man so I want to get calls from folks with low cost buses and the call I got was from a guy that knows these buses are going for a ton of money on "Barrett Jackson" lol. It is driving me crazy, I need alot more money, I can't afford them for what internet prices are now. Anyways I just needed to say that and if anyone with money needs a great westy I know of one now the guy has had it since the 80's and he told me "I'm not going to give it away!" :lol: :(

Ran When Parked Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:27 am

Red Fau Veh wrote: I love these buses! So much that I am obsessed about them and I own 6 buses right now and I have had more and I have only been into them for a few years. I have 1 split bus and had another before plus all the bays, but I want more. I have a craigslist wanted add running looking for more of them, and I got a call about a 67 westy. I am not a wealthy man so I want to get calls from folks with low cost buses and the call I got was from a guy that knows these buses are going for a ton of money on "Barrett Jackson" lol. It is driving me crazy, I need alot more money, I can't afford them for what internet prices are now. Anyways I just needed to say that and if anyone with money needs a great westy I know of one now the guy has had it since the 80's and he told me "I'm not going to give it away!" :lol: :(

I could have written the first two sentences of your post.

Folks "in the know"

That is why I never put up a Craigslist wanted ad. I don't want the heartache.

I figure if a potential P.O. is on the internet reading ads, I would rather not deal with them. Yeah, it's possible that I might miss a deal but, "So what?" I say.

I like to avoid CL and VW People when buying a bus. It looks like this strategy is working for me as I don't spend too much initially can can save that money for parts from retail giants here in the classifieds.

I've always thought that posting a CL wanted-ad is the "low hanging fruit" of bus hunting. I am not knocking wanted-ads, as I am sure many a nice bus has been found that way. It's just not for me.

I have more fun getting out on the road and talking to people or marking an area on the map then trying to talk a buddy into rolling with me for conversation and extra eyes, and then search the grid. I have to talk someone into it because I don't take someone that is into buses, which is a whole side story of it's own.

All of my acquaintances say, "Do you have a CL ad? It's free you know." But in my experience CL buses are way higher in price than eye/word-of-mouth finds. For example, two weeks ago I looked at a bus that was for sale on CL for $13,000 and I bought the same bus with better mcode options for $300 in the same time frame (read not in the 60s,70s,80s,90s - but within the year).

I feel ya on loving the buses.

Just my zero cents..

Red Fau Veh Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:23 pm

I also drive around looking for buses more than a normal person and I ask almost everyone I meet if they know of any sitting around. I have acquired some buses by running that add, and around here folks don't all have internet. one bus I got because the person was told by a friend with internet that someone has an add looking for buses(me). I talked to them on the phone and ended getting the bus for 400 bucks, that is why I run the add. I have a strong belief that someday some nice old bus owner is going to call me with a gem they want me to have. :lol:

Dubskii Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Rich's 50...

That is funny you saw that. It is very rough inside but from the description seems mechanically solid. I called the number just to talk to him but no one ever answers. He has a great message machine though.

dawerks Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:59 am

This was an interesting find. I just picked it up but I knew about it when I picked up my 23 Window. This time I got pictures!

Here it is facing off the edge of a very big drop.

The John Deere that paved the path to get up the hill. It has no brakes.

It stops by digging itself into the ground. Fun! :)

Got it half way around and then down this hill. The JD had to turn around (somehow) and rehook up. I wish I could show the incline of this 'hill'. I don't think it's a hill, it looked like a mountain...

The JD trying to turn around. The rocks were 'good enough' I guess to stop the DC from rolling down. :)

Down this hill..

And almost there!!

Fun! It took almost 4-5 hours but it was well worth it!

dawerks Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:02 pm

Good job Google! You changed how to share pictures. Sorry guys I have to fix this first.

Braukuche Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:04 pm

dawerks wrote: Good job Google! You changed how to share pictures. Sorry guys I have to fix this first.

Talk about teasers :D

EmpiGT Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:41 pm

looks like it's solid. 1961?

dawerks Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:17 pm

He said it was a 61, SWR and it is very solid except for the wheel well hacks and the passenger rocker. There's some moss etc on it, but the gates look really great. Probably the nicest I've seen (dented but not rusty).

Def. before June 1961 as the Vin is something like 7xx,xxx

mandraks Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:45 pm

very cool rescue, and it is the right year crewcab, love the earlier ones.

mtnbus Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:44 am

awesome !!!!

hitest Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:09 pm

Nice save. I hope your trip also involved collecting the upper half of that beetle. What was inside the panoramic panel?

srfndoc Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:14 pm

Sweet front bumper.

Bendango Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:25 pm

dawerks wrote: He said it was a 61, SWR and it is very solid except for the wheel well hacks and the passenger rocker. There's some moss etc on it, but the gates look really great. Probably the nicest I've seen (dented but not rusty).

Def. before June 1961 as the Vin is something like 7xx,xxx

Good candidate for OG paint reveal?