TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Today in Bus hunting history... Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 848, 849, 850 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Malokin Martin Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:19 pm

Combinations wrote:

You should leave the moss on it!

^this. You can always wash it off later. Imagine cruising that thing with working headlights and that Chea Pet still stuck on there!

I wonder if the underside is way cleaner being stored on its side like that

As a side note (and this was mentioned before) I really feel like there would be some sort of market for someone doing drive out videos. I would literally watch hours of the un edited footage of the past video instead of the tight/cut/sound tracked clip. I feel like it's kind of a universal VW/car person fantasy.

motofly196 Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:45 pm

In my experience with Lichen, as soon as you take it out of the damp forest, it dries and falls off. I have some wall hangers that I planned on leaving it on for effect, it's all gone now.

cdennisg Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:33 pm

motofly196 wrote: In my experience with Lichen, as soon as you take it out of the damp forest, it dries and falls off. I have some wall hangers that I planned on leaving it on for effect, it's all gone now.

Just gotta hose it down once in awhile. :lol:

motofly196 Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:43 pm

Do sprinklers count? :lol:

cdennisg Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:00 pm

motofly196 wrote: Do sprinklers count? :lol:

I would think so.

rennie Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:17 pm

motofly196 wrote: In my experience with Lichen, as soon as you take it out of the damp forest, it dries and falls off. I have some wall hangers that I planned on leaving it on for effect, it's all gone now.

I'm no scientist but it looks a bit more like moss than lichen to me. Lichen seems more "leafy"...

I have an old sign from an abandoned lodge in Lake Tahoe and it has moss on it. All dried out over the last 5 years but still clinging to the wood, albeit brown moss now. Perhaps the grip factor is better on wood than metal but I love the idea of driving the bus around with all the moss on it - what a conversation piece!

doubledoor64 Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:34 pm

Nearly 10 years from the first day I laid eyes on it, I finally was able to pull it out

mr white Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:37 pm

Way to wait it out! A 1960? Very nice truck! Congrats!

doubledoor64 Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:19 am

mr white wrote: Way to wait it out! A 1960? Very nice truck! Congrats!

It's a 1961

crukab Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:22 am

doubledoor64 wrote: mr white wrote: Way to wait it out! A 1960? Very nice truck! Congrats!

It's a 1961

Very COOL !! I waited 9 years for my Singlecab, what was the storey on yours ??

aa390392 Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:14 am

Nice save on single cab.
Did anyone find or hunt at OCTO (big buy) yesterday?
Thomas

Tahlequah Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:29 pm

Two Facebook panels in two days

doubledoor64 Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:22 pm

crukab wrote: doubledoor64 wrote: mr white wrote: Way to wait it out! A 1960? Very nice truck! Congrats!

It's a 1961

The short story is I heard about from the guys nephew when I was doing some work to his car. I made contact but it was never for sale. I would call the guy once or twice a year just to check in. This year I decided to go see him and it. We were pretty bummed after losing out on the montana bus hoard. I was looking it over and talking with him, this time I was able to make him an offer he couldn't refuse, but he did, he then said he would think it over. His wife called a few hours later and said he would sell it. :lol:

bigdish2 Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:58 am

Tahlequah wrote:

Two Facebook panels in two days

You need your own bus hunting thread. Lol

hitest Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:25 am

doubledoor64 wrote: crukab wrote: doubledoor64 wrote: mr white wrote: Way to wait it out! A 1960? Very nice truck! Congrats!

It's a 1961

The short story is I heard about from the guys nephew when I was doing some work to his car. I made contact but it was never for sale. I would call the guy once or twice a year just to check in. This year I decided to go see him and it. We were pretty bummed after losing out on the montana bus hoard. I was looking it over and talking with him, this time I was able to make him an offer he couldn't refuse, but he did, he then said he would think it over. His wife called a few hours later and said he would sell it. :lol:

This is awesome news! I love it when bus treasure hunting is still alive and healthy in Idaho. That truck is a beauty.

smoothfinishes Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:10 pm

Once flipped back on its belly its true beauty was revealed....

The earth had started to reclaim the original paint on this poor bus.

Malokin Martin Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:14 pm

What did the frame look like?

smoothfinishes Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:19 am

Actually the frame is quite nice.

The rust is localized to the drivers side. The cargo floor and front floor are nearly rust free as is the rear shelf.

RFV Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:31 pm

Think it'll buff out?

d-rick Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:46 pm

Another one on its side...bottom side is solid,drivers side is pretty much gone..as in returned back to the earth