TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Today in Bus hunting history... Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 864, 865, 866 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
LAGrunthaner Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks for lesson #1 in Lemmerz wheels. Now for lesson # 2, where these only made for early Split buses like the small hatch vs later ones large hatch Split buses? I'm snowed in today and have not looked at my wheels for that label. Back to class.

Alan Brase Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:20 am

LAGrunthaner wrote: Thanks for lesson #1 in Lemmerz wheels. Now for lesson # 2, where these only made for early Split buses like the small hatch vs later ones large hatch Split buses? I'm snowed in today and have not looked at my wheels for that label. Back to class.
Linda, I think they last came with Lemmerz in about 1960. I've bought and sold about 100 bus rims and 1959 was the latest Lemmerz I've seen.
Quite a while before model year 1964 change to the bigger hatch (circa August 15, 1963)
Get a bit of snow? Predictions were over a foot in Boston area!
Al

LAGrunthaner Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:07 am

Great history lesson on wheels 69doublecab, so I'm guessing the Lemmerz wheels were made for the 15" not my late model big hatch 14"? I always thought VW made them so this is a great lesson.

Yes I got snow but the Boston area always gets slammed. I'm so glad I don't live there....LOL.

Keep warm kids.

69doublecab wrote: LAGrunthaner wrote: Thanks for lesson #1 in Lemmerz wheels. Now for lesson # 2, where these only made for early Split buses like the small hatch vs later ones large hatch Split buses? I'm snowed in today and have not looked at my wheels for that label. Back to class.
Linda, I think they last came with Lemmerz in about 1960. I've bought and sold about 100 bus rims and 1959 was the latest Lemmerz I've seen.
Quite a while before model year 1964 change to the bigger hatch (circa August 15, 1963)
Get a bit of snow? Predictions were over a foot in Boston area!
Al

silkvw Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:58 am

Another dig out, pull out rescue in TX by a friend of mine.

crukab Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:45 am

"Reliable Mobile Maid Service" Can you see that rolling up to someones house w/ a couple of "Hotties" in Maid outfits ?? :lol: :roll:

Alan Brase Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:12 am

LAGrunthaner wrote: Great history lesson on wheels 69doublecab, so I'm guessing the Lemmerz wheels were made for the 15" not my late model big hatch 14"? I always thought VW made them so this is a great lesson.

Yes I got snow but the Boston area always gets slammed. I'm so glad I don't live there....LOL.

Keep warm kids.

Oops! I had you a little further north east in my mind!
WRT the wheels manufacturer, I suspect that KPZ (KRONPRINZ) made them, even after 1960.
BTW, as far as I can tell, 1964 -1970 bus rims are all the same. But for date codes.
I don't know why, but manufacturers seem to not make their own rims but rather buy them from vendors, in the US and Germany both.
KPZ, Lemmerz, and SUDRAD seem to be the names I know of. Perhaps others.
Al

buck Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:31 am

Only took me almost 4 years to get back down to where this thing was forgotten about since before I was born. Its a 65 walk through standard. It survived good aside from the driver side a pillar which i ripped out entirely with door before dragging it back home. I also had the m code plate of bus for time since I first found it and managed not to lose it.

Pinetops Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:18 am

Looks good Buck.

BUGTHUG Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:23 pm

This found me! I was filling some bottles at my propane place and the older gentleman ask me what year my bus was. He's my propane delivery guy sometimes, so he has been out to my compound.
He says I have a 66 sitting on a trailer I'm thinking about selling, I need the trailer to use on some other things. I told him I would come out and see it the next day. I was totally surprise to see this. :D

Braukuche Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:50 pm

Guess he doesn't watch th Barret Jackson auctions!

mandraks Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:00 pm

BUGTHUG wrote: This found me!... I was totally surprise to see this. :D

fixed it for you

cdennisg Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:09 pm

Better add some extra supports under your PM inbox. :wink:

ryans65 Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:33 pm

I need to start driving my bus more :cry:

motofly196 Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Too bad about the roof, it looks pretty straight other than that. I REALLY like the Bultaco sticker!!

EmpiGT Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:17 pm

torsion housing cut out? great find either way. too bad its a bench. sea blue walkthrough 21 is one of my fav's

exotic plants Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Looks to have had a dealership install camper kit too?

RHD Notch Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:25 pm

It looks like it could be used as a seesaw :lol: Congrats!

BUGTHUG Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:06 am

exotic plants wrote: Looks to have had a dealership install camper kit too?
The farmer I got it from said he let his brother use it back in the late 70's. His brother took it to Florida and got a job at the Everglades State park. He said it was used as his camper for awhile, and he lived somewhere at the camp grounds? I think he added the outlets?

60vwnewengland Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:57 pm

BUGTHUG wrote: This found me! I was filling some bottles at my propane place and the older gentleman ask me what year my bus was. He's my propane delivery guy sometimes, so he has been out to my compound.
He says I have a 66 sitting on a trailer I'm thinking about selling, I need the trailer to use on some other things. I told him I would come out and see it the next day. I was totally surprise to see this. :D

I hope you got a crazy good deal on it! Awesome find.

rtroy Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi Everybody,

I'm mostly a Ghia / Porsche kinda guy, but I do own a few type IIs, and yesterday I devoted my day to rescuing this gem from 32 years of sitting in the same spot!

The image above was as we found her, waiting quietly in this "high chaparral desert" location along with a few other VWs. The others were:

+ VW Rabbit-based pickup truck
+ two '70s era Beetles
+ A Bradley GT
+ A weird one-off electric car that had a lot of VW components on it

...And there were two huge trailers, and a big stack of 1960s era left over rockets and related rocket materials the government had left behind when they sold the land... One of the trailers was said to be a portable rocket launching control center, and the white object foreground right in the above image was said to be a "radome" - a dome that goes over a radar antenna - which had formerly been mounted to the top of the trailer...

The person who left the cars had removed all the tires AND lug-bolts to prevent theft, so to salvage the double cab I had to bring with me mounted tires, of course, and also 20 big lug bolts!

Very importantly in such circumstances, especially when performing a rescue way out "in the middle of nowhere": bring a tap for the lug bolt holes and cutting fluid - in fact, bring two (!!) because rust is harder than steel and will dull your tap quickly!

The person who stored the cars was also very concerned about earthquake so they put a huge row of cinder blocks under the car and left exactly zero opportunity to get a jack under the proper lifting points, and since the body was corroded sufficiently to make the jack points unusable, I had to resort to unusual means to get the car back on rubber...

Some highlights of the rescue operation included plant-blocked roads, having to risk scratching the paint driving alongside bushes and shrubbery, having to ford a small river some 12 to 16 feet across and around 2 feet deep with VERY fast flowing water, and also a super sharp switch-back of some 170 degrees or so of turn, very narrow passage with seep cliff-faces and zero room for error. This is where knowing your vehicle, its turning radius, and exactly where the tires are, sure comes in super-handy! Oh, and a towing bar that permits a lock-to-lock turning radius without the body of the towed car touching the tow car!

Since I'm mostly a Ghia / Porsche kinda guy (note the Porsche rims on the double-cab!) here goes "stupid question number one:" Where on earth do I find the vin number on this darned thing? Thanks in advance!

Richard