TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Today in Bus hunting history... Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 987, 988, 989  Next
Lind Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:10 pm

enkiel wrote: sorry, the shipping bullshit was aimed at mister "cut everything on sight/People trying to save bus are cheap ass" Lind
enkiel - my comments are just for calling bullshit on people like you who whine about buses getting cut up, but don't have what it takes to save them. I get really tired of people who can't back up what they are saying with a little action.

if you ever actually drive a bus, and you take the UZI sponsored "doveblue3 challenge" (if you drive it to the show, he pays the gas) then I will see you at ECMSAS and add to the pot by buying you lunch in addition to the gas that UZI buys you. until then, I just think that you are a blowhard kid who doesn't drive a bus. sure, they look cool, but looking at pictures of them on the internet and talking about them is not what it takes to be a bus driver. that is something that you can only experience by driving your bus......

KombiMonster Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:02 pm

Lind wrote:
if you ever actually drive a bus, and you take the UZI sponsored "doveblue3 challenge" (if you drive it to the show, he pays the gas) then.....

Damn it's like $2.85 for regular here....UZI what shows are you proposing?... :D

The Sage Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:30 pm

dieselnut wrote: Dood, there's a thread custom tailor'd for whining, this ain't it. This is where I try to give a little back, capiche? You should try it, giving something back that is. As a community, we're only as good as our weakest link on any given day.

Diesel,

I have enjoyed all your posts and advice. Michigan isn't the east but close enough...

Keep 'em coming!

Lind,

From the pictures you have sent me, you are doing plenty for this community. I found another bug I want to send pics over to you, rag top, early 60's.

Lind Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:21 pm

KombiMonster wrote: Lind wrote: if you ever actually drive a bus, and you take the UZI sponsored "doveblue3 challenge" (if you drive it to the show, he pays the gas) then..... Damn it's like $2.85 for regular here....UZI what shows are you proposing?... :D
unfortunately that deal is only available to certain people who have previously shown no particular abilities to drive their cars to shows. I tried to get the same deal out of UZI, but he wouldn't go for it, because he knows full well that I will drive a bus across the country to his place like I have done the last two summers running. UZI will have less than $100 into the challenge if enkiel makes it, but I sure wouldn't take a bet on whether enkiel shows up with the gas reciepts in hand. there is a reason that the challenge is a safe bet, these people hardly ever actually make it.

KombiMonster Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:45 pm

Dang... :lol: ...( yeah my tab would be in the $400-$500 range for a show back east ...one way )

Mango Juice Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:49 pm

I knew this gas thing was coming....they say it is going up even more :shock: I went 170 miles on 6 gallons of fuel with a nasty headwind......36hp is for me this year :D

Long-roofs Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:01 pm

59standard mango wrote: I knew this gas thing was coming....they say it is going up even more :shock: I went 170 miles on 6 gallons of fuel with a nasty headwind......36hp is for me this year :D

170 miles at 45mph in the wind?

Mango Juice Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:16 pm

50 to 55 mph ......35 to 45 up the steep hills... :D .....I have had a fast bus or should I say a faster bus in the past but i'm in no hurry as there is lots to look at with 23 windows :P

camperfan Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:35 pm

I heard today that 3 bucks a gallon for gas this summer, 5 dollar per G is in our futures as well. My 1500 gets 20 mpg out on the road. that equates to about 12c a mile just for fuel alone to drive my bus

Bryan S. Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:20 am

KombiMonster wrote: Dang... :lol: ...( yeah my tab would be in the $400-$500 range for a show back east ...one way )
$400.00 I herd you found that white single cab, too bad Chris didn't get it as I'm sure Roudtree damn near gave it away :roll:

mynameismud Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:31 am

Lind wrote: KombiMonster wrote: Lind wrote: if you ever actually drive a bus, and you take the UZI sponsored "doveblue3 challenge" (if you drive it to the show, he pays the gas) then..... Damn it's like $2.85 for regular here....UZI what shows are you proposing?... :D
unfortunately that deal is only available to certain people who have previously shown no particular abilities to drive their cars to shows. I tried to get the same deal out of UZI, but he wouldn't go for it, because he knows full well that I will drive a bus across the country to his place like I have done the last two summers running. UZI will have less than $100 into the challenge if enkiel makes it, but I sure wouldn't take a bet on whether enkiel shows up with the gas reciepts in hand. there is a reason that the challenge is a safe bet, these people hardly ever actually make it.

dang- can i get that challange... 8) i'm a pretty safe bet.

Enkiel Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:40 am

I'm still aiming to make it... even if i have to drive half the trip without any brakes, 4th gear or without any working light on the bus, i'll make it.

The only thing between making it and not making it, is the inspection to get it road legal.

dieselnut Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:47 am

59standard mango wrote: Looks savable to me...reminds me of this tow yard outside of Arizona that had a green and green sitting just like this one....it was right off the main highway....cool find :P

Can you point me in any other directions for my next trip through there? I'll make it worth your time! :lol:

Mango Juice Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:17 am

I would have to get out my road trip maps as I made a few trips back to the mid west for old buses/parts and jotted down numpers and places I found goodies along the way......first trip to Kansas for my 1958 23 window/Parts.....second trip to Colorado to buy a 21 window that turned out to be a fake and the guy stripped the parts off before I got there and offered them to me for more money... and all of the vin numbers were cut off the bus, he said he did not know about that but had other Vw's around his house??? Busracer knows of that Clown in Colorado....and a trip to Texas for a 2nd owner Pearl White/ Mouse Grey Samba....I will see what I can dig up for you....talk soon !

Stanagon Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:20 pm

Lind wrote: KombiMonster wrote: Lind wrote: if you ever actually drive a bus, and you take the UZI sponsored "doveblue3 challenge" (if you drive it to the show, he pays the gas) then..... Damn it's like $2.85 for regular here....UZI what shows are you proposing?... :D

I can think of a certain long time mass split bus collector who might be eligible for the doveblue challenge...

And Diesel, I look forward to seeing pix of my clips. Many of us appreciate the opportunity to score some fairly rust free, good OG German metal instead of dealing with crappy repro stuff. Keep up the good work! Not every bus should be saved.

ToolBox Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:47 am

enkiel wrote: I'm still aiming to make it... even if i have to drive half the trip without any brakes, 4th gear or without any working light on the bus, i'll make it.

The only thing between making it and not making it, is the inspection to get it road legal.

I am sure you will need to pass tech inspection for the bet.

I do not drive my truck all the time but it will get me lots of places. Last year when I HAD a new Jetta with issues I told the VWoA customer service director that the most reliable car in my driveway was a 46 year old VW and not the 1.5 year old one, he was not pleased.

I think enkiel lives in the part of Canada that hates the rest of Canada. Damn Quebecois.

Bongo Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:30 am

Whining about 3 bucks a gallon, you guys crack me up! :lol: I'm paying around 7½ US for a gallon! Still now that Iraq is part of the US, shouldn't you be getting some ceaper oil soon? :wink:

Captoaster Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:02 am

Bongo wrote: Whining about 3 bucks a gallon, you guys crack me up! :lol: I'm paying around 7½ US for a gallon! Still now that Iraq is part of the US, shouldn't you be getting some ceaper oil soon? :wink:

After we get our cheap oil I hope we go after some Swedish or Danish Blondes! Hardly any of our are real blondes anymore! And most are not OG with silicone and bondo! See ya soon?
Rob

dieselnut Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:59 pm

OK, a while back I mentioned a guy leaving a note for a '55 singlecab on my pickup. Finally tracked him down today - appears to be a '59 although he now says it's a '58.

Most of the treasure chest floor is gone, both inner and outer rockers are gone, both bumpers are gone. Bus appears to be mostly complete otherwise. Non-running - comes w/ 36hp and (supposedly running) 1500. Gates have some rust, not bad though. Missing one hinge.

Didn't see the engine lid, buried under too much stuff. He didn't remember seeing a brakelight though.

Missing tail lights as well.

Has - radio delete plate and all other interior pieces. All glass minus one windshield is good. Has all three gates, didn't see condition of rear as it was under a bunch of stuff, but could see it was there.

Was originally dove blue, light push in nose. One rear corner has a good ding (or a minor dent - whichever you prefer).

His asking price is $800, w/ the running engine. I can probably get pics in a couple of weeks. It has a title. Frame appears OK.

Too far gone to be much of a resto candidate, but probably would make a good beater work truck for someone. PM me for the details.

EverettB Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:52 pm

I found a '67 Hardtop Deluxe today near my house.

Only drawback - it's been home-converted to a Single Cab. Unfinished and really nasty. Incomplete engine. Busted dash clock. No front seat or much else of anything.

It wasn't really for sale as it was a long-term project but if someone is desperate... I will give you the cross-streets.

He said he thought it was a real VW Single Cab when he bought it. LOL.