TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Carb Conversion on 84 Vanagon Wasserboxer
Gary Scurlock Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:20 am

I have an '84 Type IV water cooled with FI. I want to run carbs on it. The manifold I need to install my weber progressive kit is not like the air cooled version. The head has two rectangular holes close together with only two bolts instead of four. Does some one make the right manifold for this conversion?

Thanks, Gary

weinerwagen Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:37 am

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

btlbugtyp1 Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:03 pm

I agree with Weinerwagen dont do thay to your beloved bus ......FI is way better than carbs and easier to tune,adjust and the like plus the economy it way way way better my bus gets better mileage and runs smoother than my 74 bug with a carb ...DONT DO IT ........

Captain Pike Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:05 pm

you will burn it up :evil:

levi Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:49 pm

Although........
If you really WANTED to .......
some of the european waterboxers had carbs
take a look at karl mullendore's dehler profi for sale on this list

Gary Scurlock Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:11 pm

We have had this arguement already. I have owned this thing for two years and actually driven it only 200 miles. The rest of the time it is in the shop, on the hook of a wrecker or sitting in the yard broken.

It is going to have carbs or it is going to become a planter box after I make a bonfire in it.

"G"

weinerwagen Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:39 pm

My 84's run nicely. It's the 88 that is throwing me fits!

I like the Planter Box idea. We have alittle hamlet north of Sacramento called Rio Linda, which has most of General Motors, Fords, and Dodge automobiles parked on blocks in the front yards...

very quaint. Hard to see the driveways of trailer parks tho... :P

Randy in Maine Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:47 pm

Sell it.

Captain Pike Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:10 pm

Sell it

weinerwagen Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:14 pm

Donate it to charity

btlbugtyp1 Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:33 pm

you could always send it to me ....i enjoy having many VW's in my yard seriously the FI is better you seem to have a mechanic that is one of those replace part if it still not right replace part kinda guy

lovedavdubs Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:21 pm

Take it from me, a guy whose van has been ravaged in every way possible by previous owners. If you've run out of patience, sell it. A buddy of mine swapped out the FI on his 77 and regretted it. Once you get the bugs out of these FI systems there quite efficient. If you do decide to take the so called easy way out, for God sake don't throw out or sell ANY of the FI components. Put them in a box and keep them for the next owner. I've spent the last two and a half years hunting for missing parts and righting the wrongs of my vans PO. I'd like to ring his neck :evil:

Gary Scurlock Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:23 pm

The mechanics around here are inept at best. I found 7 frayed and broken vacuum hoses after paying $750 for a full tune up and check of the entire FI system.

I need the build the bonfire in front of his shop.

I found the parts I need. I friend of mine has them at his house.

Thanks,
"G"

weinerwagen Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:41 pm

I thought Katrina cleaned out the low rent mechanics? Someone needs to put out the word that GOOD QUALITY GERMAN MECHANICS are needed
in LA