TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 77 westy stove disassembly
chickenside Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:34 pm

Hi guys,
I am trying to completely disassemble my 77 westy's stock stove. I have removed the cabinet and stove top and it's sitting in my home. However, I would like to get into the interior to address some rust and clean it. There is a tin shroud underneath which needs to be removed. It is held in place by two screws apparently accessible under the burners. The burners seem to be held in place by a flat pin bent in place. See the photo:

The pin I'm talking about is the small rusty bent piece at about 8 O-clock on the burner. Would I have to bend this pin and risk it breaking or will the burner just pop off if I apply some leverage under it with screw driver..? I don't want to risk damaging the soft metal with the screw driver if it is indeed held on by that pin. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

-Bob

steponmebbbboom Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:36 am

Dont touch the pin, it is for the piezoelectric starter.

Zoom out and snap a pic, then flip the top around and snap another pic, there has to be another way.

westy78 Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:34 am

steponmebbbboom wrote: Dont touch the pin, it is for the piezoelectric starter.

There's a piezoelectric starter on stock stoves? Not that I know of. :?

pawesty Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:33 am

steponmebbbboom wrote: Dont touch the pin, it is for the piezoelectric starter.

Zoom out and snap a pic, then flip the top around and snap another pic, there has to be another way.
negative. these are match lit.

steponmebbbboom Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:31 am

:o I just owned myself! Sure looked like a piezo lead to me. So what is it?

upnorthman Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:43 am

Hey all,
I wanted my first post to be different but, I think the part in question is a safety spring. Check out the photo from the range counter unit owners manual.
[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=266872[/img]

david

upnorthman Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:49 am

[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=266872[/img]

upnorthman Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:52 am

third time whew...

chickenside Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:05 pm

Wow thanks, Upnorthman..! That photo of the breakdown suggests that I can in theory safely remove the safety spring and then pop off the burner pot. I'll give it a go and post my results. :D

steponmebbbboom Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:10 pm

youre my kind o' noob. nice pic.

honeybus Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:12 pm

Hey, do either of these look like they would be helpful in taking that stove head off??

Anymouse

chickenside Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:19 pm

Anymouse,
yes, that first tool looks like it may fit into the two opposing slots in the center of the stove head. I'll measure it when I get home. Where can one find that tool..?

-Bob

honeybus Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:26 pm

I 'found' it in a '79 Westy that I was striping in a junk yard a few years back.

I have one bucket of specialty tools, things that you may use or never use , and it should be in there.

I can't say if they are for sale anywhere, but you could try the Delta Six people. I think they are now in Florida.

If you need to borrow and return them, I am creating a spare 2.0 engine turnkey and I sure can use some extra karma....

Anymouse

upnorthman Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:58 pm

chickenside,
no problem, I knew I had that at home and I had to help. It says in the book to order parts from:
Delta Six Industries
5517 Cleon Street
North Hollywood
CA 91601
It would be awsome if they are still there... I need one burner lid. The one I need to replace looks like it got ran over by a train.

David

chickenside Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:00 pm

Upnorthman and Anymouse thanks so much, you have helped me solve this problem. I have successfully disassembled the stove. I will write up a complete procedure and post it here as soon as I get a chance to take some more photos tomorrow.

-Bob

Jaxonsurf Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:34 am

I just did this. Safety springs snapped so not sure what I will do on re-assembly. May just try to rig up something. It just has to go down that hole to stop the outer cuff from spinning. To get the cuff off I was able to use a good pair of needle move ply era. Put the stove on the floor, put the points of the needle nose into each notch where the special tool would go, put some downward pressure on the needle nose to keep the tips in the notches and twist. Rotated pretty easy.

Jaxonsurf Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:36 am

That's needle nose plyers....damn autocorrect is like having another wife, always changes around what I'm saying !