TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oil temp sender Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
supermanbidder Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:54 pm

What about this does it work? http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0...IMAdDFgLGv

Randy in Maine Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:10 pm

supermanbidder wrote: What about this does it work? http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0...IMAdDFgLGv

I would not a clue what you are trying to measure there.

On my Type 4 engine it is in this taco plate inspection cover that my buddy Phil made for me....

supermanbidder Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:02 pm

thats not on my engine i had come across it doing an image search and i just wanted some people to tell me what they thought .. i have no idea where i can put my oil temp sensor ??? i heat that putting it in the drain plug gives inaccurate readings , i dont have an external filter setup ,,, and my engine is already together rebuilt so i can mod the case in front like i have seen some do SERIOUSLY I NEED HELP??? has anyone modded the oil filter pump to ad a sensor somehow i have a maxi 2 pump ?

neil68 Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:30 pm

supermanbidder wrote: thats not on my engine i had come across it doing an image search and i just wanted some people to tell me what they thought .. i have no idea where i can put my oil temp sensor ??? i heat that putting it in the drain plug gives inaccurate readings , i dont have an external filter setup ,,, and my engine is already together rebuilt so i can mod the case in front like i have seen some do SERIOUSLY I NEED HELP??? has anyone modded the oil filter pump to ad a sensor somehow i have a maxi 2 pump ?

If you don't mind me repeating what I posted earlier in this thread, there is way too much unsubstantiated talk about "accurate" readings and "better" sender positions. I haven't found any substantial temperature difference between the various senders (I have not used that adaptor sender that ACN sells, but it looks fine as well).

Just think about it for a minute: some are saying that you need the sender in the external filter mount to measure oil that has come from the sump via the oil pick-up tube just a few seconds ago (very little cooling occurs during the journey through the oil line to the filter-mount sender).

In your situation, I would not bother modifying the combination oil-filter pump (as it's the same situation...oil has just been sucked up from the sump). Just use a dipstick sender, or VDO oil-relief sender, or one of the sump senders...that's all you really need.

Glenn73 Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:39 pm

supermanbidder wrote: What about this does it work? http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0...IMAdDFgLGv
I would think that would give you more of a head temp rather than oil temp.
But I am also interested in finding out if that will work.

Randy in Maine Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:56 am

Actually it would not give you either CHT or OT.

supermanbidder Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:27 am

then can someone explain why this says sensor head http://www.mamotorworkstv.com/vw/product/remanufac...lh_300282/

flyboat Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:59 am

It has a receiver for the factory head temp sensor. I don't recall the calibration. I believe it was only on the FI engines as part of the signal to send more fuel or less,

FV195 Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:58 pm

ok, had a sender in my deep sump, no reading at all? switched to relife sender, good readings, haven't checked against another source.
cht stays stady even when oil changes.
think sump was not grounded real well

Randy in Maine Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:45 pm

supermanbidder wrote: then can someone explain why this says sensor head http://www.mamotorworkstv.com/vw/product/remanufac...lh_300282/

That is for the Temp Sensor II which is required with FI (to let the ECU know if the engine is warm or cold to adjust the fuel mixture).

It is not a suitable location if you are trying to monitor the cylinder head test though.

Some of us use these for that purpose.....

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=...cat248.htm

and the sender is located at the spark plug.

supermanbidder Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:55 pm

Im thinking if i put the sensor in the drain plug it should have some sort of shield put around it to protect it from damage and to block it also from cooling air while driving

carl4x4 Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:17 pm

supermanbidder wrote: Im thinking if i put the sensor in the drain plug it should have some sort of shield put around it to protect it from damage and to block it also from cooling air while driving

CSP sell something that do just that:

Hotrodvw Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:43 pm

But it's finned for cooling? :lol:

Randy in Maine Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:29 am

supermanbidder wrote: it should have some sort of shield put around it to protect it from damage and to block it also from cooling air while driving

Don't worry about it.

fory Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:24 pm

I saw this asked earlier in the thread with no response to it.... I read on the vw-resource website that they say to use the drain plug sensor on a single relief case... why is this? They give no reason...

I run my sender in the relief valve on my single relief case and I have no temp reading issues or oil pressure issues to my knowledge (I only run the dummy light for pressure though)... If this was such a bad spot for a sender, why would VDO, of all manufacturers, offer this as an option? They seem to be one of the best, next to (old) SW..

I do agree with previous statements that 100% accuracy is neither possible nor nesseccary... All I want to know is when its warmed up, and when I need to pull over at the next stop and let it cool off. Usually it me thats overheating before my Bug anyways... :lol:

Hotrodvw Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:50 pm

I've noticed most if not all manufacturers will have you mount their product in a bolt on fashion. I think this is to keep the liability to a minimum as well as the appeal to the buyer. When you have to get out the big tools, it kills curb appeal. I'm guessing VDO said "hey, oil goes here, let's put a sender there!".

Cusser Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:13 pm

I installed my temperature sending unit in the oil drain pan in 1976. Yes, it did break once, but no oil leaked out, and I threaded one in from VDO and it has worked fine.

I say that one isn't really looking for a specific degree that's bad, but more likely looking for a temperature increase that's out of your normal.

That's what they're good for, same as coolant gauge in a traditional vehicle.

supermanbidder Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Cusser. How did you break it once ?... Just wondering because i am using a sump talk also so im worried about it being to low

skapunkfoo Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:14 pm

here is the location of my oil temp sensor.

Is this a good spot? I seem to get good readings.

yes i know the engine is dirty.

Hotrodvw Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:39 pm

skapunkfoo wrote: here is the location of my oil temp sensor.

Is this a good spot? I seem to get good readings.

yes i know the engine is dirty.

Is it good? Have you compared it to anything else? That will tell you if it's any good for approriate readings.