TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: gas tank grounding?
Iowa Mark Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:46 pm

I was installing my new sending unit in my tank tonight and got to thinking about how I've got it mounted. Suspended from the fiberglass under the rear deck of the Mini T. There are no brackets bolted to the frame, so should I run a ground stap from the tank to the frame to eliminate any static charge? Or will the ground from the guage be enough?

manxman63 Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:17 pm

I'd ground it just to eliminate any chance of a static discharge. On another note it has been awhile but the sending unit is a single wire set up and will need a ground source. I am not sure if the guage is enough, but now that you have peaked my curiousity i'm going to check mine.

manxman63

MURZI Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:22 am

HMMM, mine is not grounded at all. I guess it really needs to be huh???

Iowa Mark Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:28 am

I think I'm going to rig up a ground wire from tank to frame. I started thinking about this after seeing one of those safety notices at the gas pump, "Never fill a container in the vehicle. Always place it on the ground to avoid static discharge." Hey, why not another ground wire. They're all over a fiberglass car. To think I used to make fun of my brother's MG and all the "Prince of darkness" independent grounds.

seabeebuggy Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:43 am

I think the best way to do it is ground at the sending unit screw. it will help your sending unit if it is not a cable operated unit.

iceluke Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:08 pm

Mines grounded. Just ran a wire from one of the hold down brackets to my bus bar. A bus bar is a great way to have all of your grounds go to one place, and it nice when you have to do some wire chasing.

jspbtown Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:28 am

I'm not sure here but I think you need to ground the tank to make the gauge work? Doesn't the sending unit provide a variable grounding signal to the gauge? Isn't this what gives you your reading? I would assume that if it is not grounded there is nothing variable to transmit. Right? In a stock but its obviously grounded.

Iowa Mark Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:02 pm

That's why I worded my original post about the grounding of the guage being enough. It's an Autometer with their sending unit. The sender is a single wire to the guage, and the guage then has a post for the ground. I'm still going to run a wire from one of the screws holding the sender to the tank down to the chassis.

manxman63 Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:17 pm

after your post and thinking about it also....I will be running a ground wire to the frame. No fuel sparks for me i hope after this

manxman63