TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fuchs, Chrome or polished?
Manxdude Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:50 am

I have a set of Fuchs I am going to run on my Manx I am thinking of having them polished but a friend of mine said to have them chromed they will look much better and are a lot less work. Wich way would you go??

clearsurf2001 Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:53 am

Polished ... no doubt.

MDmanx Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:47 am

chrome is really nice/expensive, but he is right. The upkeep on a polished mag wheel is alot of work.

do some price shopping, and weigh your options.

mikeb Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:04 pm

you can get your wheels polished and then get a kit from por-15 to clear coat you wheels and never have to mess with them again, the stuff works great, MikB

Jeem Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:04 pm

Either way, they need to be polished. Taking the extra steps involved to have them chromed doesn't add up in my book. Chrome looks great on certain wheels (like stock steel), but a polished alloy wheel has a look that is so much cooler than chrome. Chrome makes some wheels, like yours, look a little bling-bling and kind of tacky. Coat them as suggested above or just spend an hour a week and keep after the shine.

...but that's just me:)

BumbleBuggy Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:47 am

I prefer polished on the Fuchs. Sometimes chromed wheels look plastic.

Yellermanx Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:52 am

I suspect that once you get a price on having them chromed you will think that you really like polished wheels better anyway.

Manxdude Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:11 pm

I went by a local wheel shop today and they want $150. per wheel to polish, it seems high but I know it's alot of work involved does this seem high or am I in the zone? I like this place because of no shipping and I saw their work and its show quality..
Sonny

Iowa Mark Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:00 am

I understand that they're Porsche and all, but Fuchs always remind me of some cheap hub cap sold at Wally-world. But then maybe the hub cap company just did a great job of faking the Germans. :?