TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fuel tank venting
MURZI Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:11 pm

I just filled my car all the way up and now gas is spewing out of the vent line. I ran the vent off of the stock location and curled the vent line up high around the filler neck and then down to the front by the beam. How did you all do it??? My cap is non vented.

Yellermanx Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:24 pm

Hey Murz, mine is the same way except I vented back over to the driver's side. I have never filled it all the way up, but suspect I would have the same problem. When I redo my body I think I am going to seal the vent and use a vented cap. Maybe you could plug the hose and do that. One last thought is to raise the end of the vent hose above the level of the gas to keep down any siphoning effect.

goldbuggy67 Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:53 pm

Mine was vented around the filler neck and down to the beam as well but I noticed the vent tube was missing earlier this week so I am going to fix it tomorrow. I have an old VW tank with a VW cap but how can I tell if it is a vented cap?

MURZI Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:11 pm

Problem solved!!! I plugged the vent line and drilled a small hole under the flip top on my gas cap. You cant see the hole at all.

andk5591 Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:48 pm

You were too fast - was turned on to this by another Samba contributor. They sell a one way check valve for ATVs and Bikes. Mounts on the gas filler - (instead of running a vent tube below the bike) short tube with a small vent/check valve. I think I paid $10 for it - Attached mine to the end of the vent tube and problem solved.

bugvert Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:14 am

Murzi, I have the same gas filler/cap setup.
You drilled next to the key cylinder? or is yours unkeyed.
I want to do the same to mine, my problem is that I dont have a vent and I didnt realize the cap was unvented untill everything was put together :(
I dont want to disassemble the front of my buggy and remove and drain the tank to add a vent. So far I've been manually venting it by loosening the cap before and after I take a ride. Short trips so I dont get vapor lock.
Do you have a close up pic of where you drilled? and what drill size to use?

MURZI Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:04 pm

I drilled a 1/8" hole under the flip top and then 180 degrees opposite of that on the black stopper I drilled another one. Follow me??

bugvert Mon May 01, 2006 7:16 am

Thanks! Great simple fix. :D :D
A 1/8" seemed kinda big, so I drilled a 5/64" hole to the left of the key cylinder, I can always enlarge it if I need to.