TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Buggy wont stay if 1st gear??!!
miller2706 Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:37 pm

Hey, I have a standard bone stock 1960 dune buggy. Its been parked for about 5 years and when put into storage, everything worked good. Now, when I pulled it out of storage, I put a new EMPI stock replacement shifter in it (the old one was rusty and crappy looking) and it and now it pops out of first gear. It never did this with the old shifter that I remember and doesnt seem to do it in 3rd gear. It pops out as soon as I let the clutch out. If I hold the shifter up in first, it was go, but if I give it too much gas and accelerate to fast, it still pops out then grinds!! Is the linkage out of adjustment or is my tranny screweded up?

Any ideas would be great!

73resto Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:38 pm

Or maybe like in my case the tranny horns are rotted and the tranny is slotching down

1badfrog Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:14 pm

adjust your shifter, loosen the bolts and slide the assy. forward or backward, little bit at a time, probably nothing wrong with the tranny.
Hope this helps
Bruce

buggyblues Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:52 pm

did you try it with the old one before putting the new one in? what about the shift rod bushing rotting out?

miller2706 Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:51 pm

No, didnt try it with the old, just replaced it when I got it out of storage. I cant believe the tranny would go bad just by sitting for 5 years or so. I will try adjusting the shifter, sliding it back and forth and see if that works.

seabeebuggy Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:11 pm

adjust the shifter and also check the rubber bushing. I dont ave one either. but will be instaling one in this week.

miller2706 Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:23 pm

I removed the spring that holds the shifter over inline with 3rd and 4th gear, I then ground the bolt holes longer and slid the shifter back as far as it would allow.

Put er in first gear and took off no problems. Not sure if it was the spring or the shifter adjustment, either way it works now!!

Thanks Guys...

caseydenise Mon May 01, 2006 6:07 am

I have the same problem with mine holding in reverse. I don't want to mess with it to bad, because 1-4 is fine. I'd rather go forward than backwards. I just really have to feather it backing up. It flat out dosen't work on a hill.