TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bruce Meyers article in June Car and Driver
Morganwerk Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:54 pm

I was at Borders yesterday and found an article profiling Bruce Meyers in the new issue of C&D. I found it pretty interesting, especially the vintage photos.

Elwood-Bluesvan Fri May 05, 2006 9:39 pm

Morganwerk wrote: I was at Borders yesterday and found an article profiling Bruce Meyers in the new issue of C&D. I found it pretty interesting, especially the vintage photos.

Yes I just received a email from old friend/designer wanting to know if I had same PO box to send me article. Look forward to seeing it. I ran into Bruce at "Bug-In" last spring and was pleased to see old suppliers and dealers. I was just at event to see what was still available in industry. Very pleased and surprised at all.

plasticman1432 Sat May 06, 2006 9:14 pm

Elwood-Bluesvan wrote: I ran into Bruce at "Bug-In" last spring and was pleased to see old suppliers and dealers.

Bruce still works 5 or more days a week building buggies; even at 80 years old, I wouldn't call him an 'old supplier.' :wink:

The C&D article is well done, and I've got my copy.

Elwood-Bluesvan Mon May 15, 2006 7:53 pm

plasticman1432 wrote: Elwood-Bluesvan wrote: I ran into Bruce at "Bug-In" last spring and was pleased to see old suppliers and dealers.

Bruce still works 5 or more days a week building buggies; even at 80 years old, I wouldn't call him an 'old supplier.' :wink:

The C&D article is well done, and I've got my copy.

Looked all over for a C@D when I went off the hill last week and only off-road and gun mags available in my neck of the woods. But gladly I received the article from friend and was really pleased at the truth of it all.

I worked there till it closed down as a parts dept. person and then the traffic manager. Watched all the highs and lows of that time. Have many fond memories and pictures I will share here some day. When I said I ran into Bruce at Bug-In and saw many old suppliers I was not speaking of Bruce but many others at the party. He was and is my friend and his now wife Winnie also. His wife at the time of development, Shirley was my best friend and we spent many a fun time in Mexico and around Newport Beach in that Hay Day. We were all a part of the first Bug-IN.

I love reading this thread and could spot a original Manx in a heart beat.
I met with Bruce and Winnie about 10yrs ago and gave them many of my old pictures and knowlage about part numbers and such. Still have Toad t-shirts and old stripped Manx ones in a barrell in back room.

Hope he is writting that book Winnie told me of about a year ago via Email. It was from him but he has nothing to do with these 'puters.
What a treasure of a man to have worked for and been a friend to. I are an artist too and understand what went so wrong in bussiness.

Balboaislandbob Mon May 15, 2006 9:07 pm

We ran into Bruce a few months ago at Harbor Tool in Escondido. I would of never had known it was him, except Sofi spotted the big Manx Dune Buggy Promo sticker on the door of his late model dark F250 extended cab Pick-up. It looked like a well worked ranch truck, and he looked like the one to make it well worked. I struck up a 20 minute conversation, and he was extremely nice, took the time to talk, and tell me some stories; like where he sold most of his buggy’s, in the mid-west. He referred to himself as an artist. He told me of touring Europe in a dune buggy, compliments of the European clubs. He was a sharp as a tack, didn’t even seem 80, and remembered names and places instantly. When I brought up San Felipe, he responded with the full names of all who worked at Pete’s camp. The only health thing that I noticed was the look of relatively minor arthritis in his hands. Great Guy! I told him that I was in awe of him. That his invention changed had the world, and that it directly affected me. Cool deal. Wish I had my digital camera on hand. Thanks Bruce!