TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Double Cab rear seats / floor mats Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Braukuche Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:46 am

Double cab rear seat information

Breakdown of year changes:
58 Binz Double Cab

59 Binz Double Cab

59/early 60
late 60/63

64/67

Back rest:

Bottom, notice frame is totally flat instead of having the dip in front like earlier rear seats or earlier full-length front seat bottoms:

68->

Seat bracket used on early seats

Information:
59/60 and 60-63 are the same as far as the pedestal and seat base EXCEPT the rear upper brackets to mount the seat base are inverted.
59/early 60 are on the inside.
Late 60-up are on the outside.
Inner

Outer

59-63 - The rear seat base is the same as a 55-late 60 Bus front bench seat

64/67 do not have the dip in the front of the seat base. The bench front seat base for this bus will not fit the DC rear seat base.

68->Similar to 64/67 but the base has a different stamping. Fits in Split Window? (Unknown)

Mounting photos:
Mounting plates on floor (one on each side):

Hardware and mounting points: (Hardware bolts are M8x25)

Rear floor mats:
Part # 265 863 731

Early style - short ends - 59-61

Underside:

Installed:

Late style - longer ends, 61-67

Underside photo needed!

If you have any updates or corrections, please post in this thread.

Original post below
==================================
I can't find any specific info on this question and before I spend a lot of money I am hoping to get the right information. My '60 double cab did not come with the bottom section of the rear seat nor did it come with the pedestal. I know that there is a guy fabricating new pedestals for my year, but he is not fabbing rear seat bottoms. So, my question is this: will a later '62 up bottom seat work on a earlier pedestal? In other words, is there any difference on the seat bottoms from '59-'67? There is a post-62 seat up for sale but I don't want to buy something that won't fit.
Thanks,
--Dan

derv Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:28 am

Dan,

I am in exactly the same situation as you. The PO of my 64 threw in a middle seat from a ford minivan (which actually fills the void for now) and I have never done anything about it but it is annoying.

I have seen the repop seat pedestals which actually look very nice. I have no advice to offer on the seat bottom and back and will be seeking the same.

Good luck!

matthew henricks Mon May 01, 2006 7:08 am

From what i have been able to put together there are 5 different DC rear seat set-up's.

Binz
59/early 60
late 60/63
64/67
68->

Binz. Totally different animal. Look in the forums or gallary for more info.

The second two are the same as far as the ped and seat base EXCEPT the rear upper brackets to mount the seat base are inverted. That is to say that one has them going in toward the middle of the bus and the other out. (I do not remember which is which but for my early 60 DC i had to find a base and ended up drilling out and reversting these brackets.) I also believe that with the exception of the 61/63 hump back seat's rear stop bars that the front seat base of the the same era bus is the same as the DC seat base.

64/67 do not have the dip in the front of the seat base. The front seat base for this bus will not fit the DC rear seat base.

68-> i believe are similar to 64/67 but the base has a different stamping. I am not sure if it is different enought to not fit in a split.

I believe all of the split years except the Binz had a removable re-inforcment bar accross the back of the seat frame to give it rigididy when mounted.

Hope this helps.

Braukuche Mon May 01, 2006 11:02 am

matthew henricks wrote: From what i have been able to put together there are 5 different DC rear seat set-up's.

Binz
59/early 60
late 60/63
64/67
68->

Binz. Totally different animal. Look in the forums or gallary for more info.

The second two are the same as far as the ped and seat base EXCEPT the rear upper brackets to mount the seat base are inverted. That is to say that one has them going in toward the middle of the bus and the other out. (I do not remember which is which but for my early 60 DC i had to find a base and ended up drilling out and reversting these brackets.) I also believe that with the exception of the 61/63 hump back seat's rear stop bars that the front seat base of the the same era bus is the same as the DC seat base.

64/67 do not have the dip in the front of the seat base. The front seat base for this bus will not fit the DC rear seat base.

68-> i believe are similar to 64/67 but the base has a different stamping. I am not sure if it is different enought to not fit in a split.

I believe all of the split years except the Binz had a removable re-inforcment bar accross the back of the seat frame to give it rigididy when mounted.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Matthew, that was a big help!
--Dan

Braukuche Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:42 pm

This keeps poping up so I thought I would update pre-63 VW double cab owners facing the same prediciment as myself.
My '60 came without a pedestal or seat bottom, though it did have two seat backs, one flat, one hump. I could not find a pedestal and am impatient so I bought one from the guy selling them here on the Samba. The pedestal is very nice, and after I painted it dove blue looks very OG. I am very happy with it and would reccomend it to others.
As for the seat bottom, I found a guy through the forums who very graciously offered me an all original upholstery rear seat at a very reasonable price (especially compared to the astronomically high of upholstery middle seat price but I digress). The seat back is seemingly the same dimensions as the seat back on the front bench and the seat bottom appears the same, too, as the front, except for a "rear strengthener bar" that is attached to the back of the seat. In a clutch one could, I feel, use a standard front bench bottom and back easily. The strengthener could be fabricated easily if one felt it was necessary.
Hope this helps someone out there and if it is inaccurate please feel free to correct me.
--Dan

BulliBill Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:28 pm

I'm pretty sure that the early 1959-60ish DC's used the same bench seat bottom and backrests for the front and rear seats. The exception is that an additional bolt-on brace/bar with a side-view "J" profile was made by VW and added to the rear bottom edge of the back seat bottom seat frame to strengthen it across that large span.

This "J" bar is very rare and hard to locate, but the seats themselves should be the same, you just bolt on the "J" bar to stiffen up the rear seat bottom...

Bill

EverettB Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:34 pm

I agree with the above, although I believe it's up until the seat changed to the hump seat.

My 2/60 DC for sure had the same seat frame front and rear.

My current 8/60 DC (still pre-hump seat) is the same as far as I have noticed but I haven't removed both and set them side by side.
8/60 rear seat

ldsvwguy Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Are there clamps that hold the pedestal down to the floor? I have the plates but not the clamps.

EDragnDean Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:38 pm

I had the same issue. not sure if correct, but i used standard seat hold down clamps. Same indendation/floor mount as a middle or rear seat.

ldsvwguy Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:20 am

I had the same idea but want to make sure it it correct.

EverettB Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:59 am

ldsvwguy wrote: Are there clamps that hold the pedestal down to the floor? I have the plates but not the clamps.

Yes, they are Bug gas tank clamps and little wing nuts:

ldsvwguy Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Perfect. Thanks Everett.

EverettB Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Found this other photo too:

EDragnDean Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:32 pm

luftgekuhlt Mon May 19, 2014 5:01 am

I would like to see how the upper and lower fix points (on the wall) of the BACK REST of the DC' back seat look like.

I have saved a seat from a bus that has been boxed but unfortunately I didn't see it when it was mounted.

I would also like to see pictures of how the seat is lifted when accessing the storage area below since as far as I can see the back rest blocks (to a certain point) the lifting of the seat. I am just mocking up the seat and trying to figure out the position and the distances of the fix points against the rear wall.

But I am probably mocking up with the wrong distances so thats why.

What is the distance from the rear wall to the farthest part of the pedestal (closest to the driver)? I guess if I have that distance right then the seat will be lifted without being blocked by the back rest.

Thanks!

EverettB Mon May 19, 2014 9:14 am

luftgekuhlt wrote: I would like to see how the upper and lower fix points (on the wall) of the BACK REST of the DC' back seat look like.

the seat will be lifted without being blocked by the back rest.

For the back rest:
The top of the back rest has the same mounts as a Bus front bench seat.

Front seat example:

See front seat mount on right side of this photo

The bottom of the back rest has no fixing point, it just "snaps" into place by pressing into the seat bottom. The same as the front seat above.

The rear seat bottom can only be fully raised if you first raise the back rest upward, like you see in this photo

I could measure the distance you asked but I don't know if the distances are the same for my '61 versus your Double Cab (year?)
The metal seat base should be pressed back as far as possible so that it fully mounts against the wall. I think this is a better judge of the spacing.

luftgekuhlt Wed May 28, 2014 3:07 pm

The upper part of the back rest is hinged as a standard front seat as you said. Having said that, the lower part of the back rest has two fix points. How are those secured?

cru62 Wed May 28, 2014 3:40 pm

That is a late, probably Bay Window, Rear DC seat. Those pins are not on a <'67 seat back. The springs and the frame are also very different, as is the upholstery if original.

BulliBill Wed May 28, 2014 5:47 pm

luftgekuhlt wrote: The upper part of the back rest is hinged as a standard front seat as you said. Having said that, the lower part of the back rest has two fix points. How are those secured?

Yep, you've got incorrect/later seats, those pins are not on the correct seat. But at least you have some seat parts.

Bill

busdaddy Wed May 28, 2014 7:49 pm

X2, must be 74+ bay DC seats (never seen one since we didn't get them here), looks like an added safety feature you'd expect on a later VW. 68-71 don't have the bonus protrusion.