TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oil coming out of muffler?
gman6857 Tue May 02, 2006 7:57 pm

I need serious help. I changed my oil last weekend and snapped one of the strainer cover bolts. No big deal, just a very small oil drop every so often. I can fix later. But now, after 3 days or so, something that looks like oil is coming out of the muffler!!! As it burns off, it's smoking badly. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
G

Zarana-X Tue May 02, 2006 8:43 pm

:? I could only see it getting past the rings, and if it's enough oil to survive the burning to make out the tailpipe. That's a big oil leak. :o

erlawson Tue May 02, 2006 9:09 pm

How much oil are you losing? Have you had to add a quart etc? I had a bug that had an oil leak like you describe and had oil dripping from the muffler, but it was from being blown back to the muffler while driving. Just a thought

Eddie

gman6857 Tue May 02, 2006 9:21 pm

The dipstick is still reading full. The smoke and such only occured the last mile I drove today. We'll see what happens tomorrow when I go to work. Can't wait.

71vwsquare Tue May 02, 2006 11:33 pm

you've probably got bad rings and the oil is going through the exhaust valves....either that or your heads need to be rebuilt

BSQUARE Wed May 03, 2006 9:19 am

it sounds like a broken or excessively worn ring(s), as everyone else has mentioned. it could also be a broken piston, allowing oil to leak from the the case and into the exhaust.
check your spark plugs. one or more will likely be quite fouled. this may tell you which cylinder is causing it.
do a compression test, to find out which cylinder(s) is the culprit. or remove the engine, then the heads, and you'll likely see something obviously not right inside.

67stang302 Wed May 03, 2006 10:11 am

Check the inside of the tail pipe is that wet with oil? Is the smoke coming out of th e tail pipe or being burned off the out side of the muffler?

gman6857 Wed May 03, 2006 9:46 pm

The inside of the tailpipe is actually coated with oil. I'll do some trouble shooting tomorrow to find the culprit. Thanks for all the help.

TangoDown13 Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:49 pm

Did you ever find the solution to the problem?

Only my driver's side tailpipe is coated with oil and after it warms up, you can see gray-blue smoke hovering in the air behind the car.

I'm trying to figure out what it is before I take it to the mechanic.

Clatter Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:00 pm

You accidentally filled it too full.
They only hold 2 1/2 quarts.