TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Changing Tranny Oil
miller2706 Thu May 04, 2006 3:35 pm

Sorry for another stupid question. The buggy I recently got probably needs it tranny oil changed, but I have never done it before. Where is the drain plug, and where is the filler hole. Also, what kind of oil/fluid do I put in there and how much of it!

Thanks

Jimmler Thu May 04, 2006 4:37 pm

The fill plug is on the side, drain plug on the bottom. They are identical in size and thread. It takes a 17mm Allen wrench to loosen them. Pick one up at Sears and put it in your special VW tool box.

Glenn Thu May 04, 2006 5:51 pm

Make sure you remove the fill plug first. That way you don't have an empty tranny and find out the full is siezed.

Get some Swepco 201 80W-90 gear oil.

wythac Fri May 05, 2006 5:31 am

Glenn: Very sage advice. Make sure you can fill it before you empty it. I made that mistake. One of my first learning experiences working on my bug as a high school student in the 70's. "Pain is the teacher." The wounds on my knuckles still haven't closed.
There is a VW tool that is worth having if you can still find it: A wrench that has a allen key on one end for the transaxle and a "socket box" end on the other for the drain plug on the motor. The handle has a kink in the middle of it to aid in getting it past the frame horn to the fill plug in the side of the transaxle. You have good leverage on th plug. Doubles as a pretty decent small ballpeen hammer in a pinch. Good toolkit item.

Scott C.

73resto Mon May 15, 2006 3:38 pm

anyone know what size that socket is allen socket?

Jimmler Mon May 15, 2006 4:42 pm

17mm

Ozzie Tue May 16, 2006 1:47 pm

I just switched to synthetic. To early to tell any difference, but I'm supposed to get 2-3 mpg increase. The hypoid lasted 147,000 miles. I'm hoping for the same out of the synthetic.