TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Add On Tail Box Ever See One?
Yellermanx Fri May 05, 2006 5:50 pm

This picture is of a Manx. It has some kind of add on tail box. The thing appears to be a manufactured part and doesn't look home made. It is bolted on. Anyone ever seen such a thing? I assume it was made way back in the day. Thanks

GetPsycho Fri May 05, 2006 9:31 pm

Hey Yellermanx,
Have you got any more pictures of that body? Just picked up a body for my cousin, and I'm trying to identify it. Back looks the same with the exception of that "box". If you have any other pictures I'd love to see them. Especially the front end and the rear seat area.
--psycho--

buggyblues Sat May 06, 2006 5:53 am

mine had 4 holes on the back and wondered what could have been bolted on there and somebody said they use to have an add on that stuck out for the bigger carbs. I've never seen one until now kinda neat

Yellermanx Sat May 06, 2006 6:38 am

Hey Psycho, This buggy is an authentic Manx. I just wanted to see if anyone knows who produced this add on tail piece. It fits the contour of the Manx perfectly. It appears to be a manufactured item from long ago. It was metalflake gold originally. If you post pictures of your buggy someone can probably identify it. Here's a couple more of this buggy. If you look through my www photoshop link at the bottom you will see what this buggy looks like under the add on box. It's identical to the yellow buggy. If I have enough time today I will probably remove this thing and do some stripping of the buggy and pressure wash it to see what I have.

Yellermanx Sat May 06, 2006 6:44 am

Hope to take some wire cutters and pressure washer after it today.

Yellermanx Sat May 06, 2006 12:03 pm

Post pressure washer and a little soap. Original gel coat, however not good.

manxdavid Sat May 06, 2006 2:30 pm

If anyone would care to take a mould off it I'd definitely have one. Would be great for covering a two barrel Weber keeping the original license plate mounting!!!

Put me down for a 'flake chartreuse one!!!

Mr. Unpopular Sat May 06, 2006 7:23 pm

Is this yours Yellermanx? What's the plans for this one?

sefb13 Sun May 07, 2006 1:07 am

maybe it's the engine cover sold for the "tow'd" on the manx website?

Yellermanx Sun May 07, 2006 6:31 am

turbo_buggy wrote: Is this yours Yellermanx? What's the plans for this one?

Yea, it's a sickness. Just can't say no. The only plan as of now is to stop the deterioration, but I'm thinking. I bought if from the original owner.

manxdavid Sun May 07, 2006 9:26 am

Those back tires scare me!!!! :shock:

Yellermanx Sun May 07, 2006 3:44 pm

manxdavid wrote: Those back tires scare me!!!! :shock:

They say farm service tuff trac on them. The old guy who had it said he had it up to 70 mph on them one time. Then he laughed and reflected on how stupid that was. I think they look cool, old school buggyish.

flaboyjim Sun May 07, 2006 4:19 pm

Those tires brought back some memories.... I put that style on my first Baja and ran 10 lbs of air in them - the jeeps couldnt go in the sugar sand that I could....

Gotta call yourself lucky for finding that! Everything I ever see is a major re-do.

MURZI Sun May 07, 2006 5:24 pm

Chuck, you truly are infected. I think it is terminal...... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yellermanx Sun May 07, 2006 6:57 pm

MURZI wrote: Chuck, you truly are infected. I think it is terminal...... :cry: :cry: :cry:

I know ain't it great. :lol:

Hey Jim, the body does have some issues. He cut out the front tag area for the winch and the rear tag area a little for the carb. Then it looks like Mr. Happy Drill Snap Man had a go at it. I'll never understand people. But, overall it's a pretty good body. I have seen a lot of variation in the quality of Manx bodies. Some are thinner and some have sagging rears. This one has all the mounts and therefore has not sagged it is also a nice thick one as most are.

Foxx Sun May 07, 2006 7:11 pm

i like the tail box,.. it crys out for a different tag light like maybe a type
3 one..something slightly longer and more square